Nick Diaz took part in a media conference call on Wednesday to discuss signing on to fight Anderson Silva at UFC 183 on January 31st, 2015. Here are some highlights:
– Diaz said he’s been ready to work with UFC for a while now, but wasn’t interested in any of the fights that were pitched to him this year. He was looking for the biggest fight he could get himself into, like always.
– His time off has been very productive. He wasn’t stressing out about not fighting. He sees things a lot more clearly than ever before.
– “Fighting is not something I enjoy doing, it’s something I have to do.” He said he doesn’t want to hurt anyone and he’s not a violent person. He does what he has to do because he has to do it. He can survive without fighting and just does the best he can like everyone else.
– He said it can be “pretty rough” trying to cut weight in order to fight at 170 pounds and it’s much easier for him to put on weight. He usually stays around 195-200 pounds when he’s not in the middle of running season or in a fight camp.
– He’s not doing anybody a favor by taking the Silva fight, this is something he’s wanted for a long time.
– Regarding his 3-fight deal with UFC, he said “I can’t complain. I can’t ask for anything more. I’m happy with the deal I made.”
– When asked about Anderson Silva’s broken leg, he gave the Forrest Gump quote about “Life’s like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get.”
– He declined to talk about his brother Nate.
– He’s always had a good relationship with Lorenzo Fertita and Dana White.