FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
FOX Sports en Espanol and UFC Continue to Break New Ground
Los Angeles, CA (USA) — Continuing to break new ground in U.S. Hispanic programming, Fox Sports en Espaol and the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) organization secured a historic television distribution deal that gives the leading Spanish-language sports cable network in the U.S. exclusive telecast rights to “Guerreros del UFC,” the first-ever UFC show fully produced in Spanish. Fox Sports en Espaol will telecast one episode each night through Saturday, December 22.
“We are pleased to expand our partnership with Fox Sports en Espaol to bring the Ultimate Fighting Championship to its millions of Spanish-language viewers around the country,” said Dana White, UFC President. “We are looking forward to launching `Guerreros del UFC’ and to introducing the world’s most exciting brand of professional mixed martial arts — the UFC — to an even greater number of Hispanic fans.”
FSE is launching the show by running five episodes Dec. 18 through Dec. 22 at 11pm ET/8pm PT. The first five episodes will deliver thrilling fight action featuring some of the hottest UFC fighters in the world today, including:
* Matt “The Terror” Serra tests his skills against the newly crowned Champion Georges St-Pierre in his first defense.
* Anderson “The Spider” Silva, considered by many the best pound-for-pound fighter in the UFC, takes on Chris Leben.
* The winner of the first The Ultimate Fighter, Diego “The Nightmare” Sanchez, faces off against Karo Parisyan in an epic MMA battle
* The dangerous Frankie Edgar meets a possible lightweight contender in Tyson Griffin.
* Latino sensation Roger “El Matador” Huerta confronts Leonard Garca in a historic battle that resulted in Huerta’s Sports Illustrated cover story.
“We’re excited to welcome the UFC back to our Friday Fight Night block,” said David Sternberg, executive vice president and general manager of Fox Sports en Espaol. “We have no doubt that this first-ever series of original mixed martial arts shows in Spanish will be a huge hit with our audience.”
The series will then debut in its regularly scheduled time slot on Friday, January 4 at 11 p.m. ET/ 8 p.m. PT, and will run weekly for the entire year. FSE plans to debut two episodes of “Guerreros del UFC” each month in 2008, starting in January.
“Guerreros del UFC” will be hosted by one of Mexico’s mixed martial arts experts, Victor Davila, along with play-by-play commentator Troy Santiago.
In the fall of 2006, Fox Sports en Espaol and the UFC organization made television history when they signed an exclusive one-year deal giving the network Spanish-language television and video-on-demand rights to “Gladiadores del UFC,” a series of six one-hour UFC fight specials that aired over the course of six months.