Werdum On UFC: “They Kind Of Used Me And Threw Me Out”

0

By MATT BOONE
MMANEWS.COM Staff Writer

The man in the non-UFC spotlight for heavyweight MMA, Fabricio Werdum, recently spoke to PVT Mag in Brazil about his thoughts on how his UFC tenure ended back in late 2008.

After a tough first round TKO loss to top UFC heavyweight Junior dos Santos at UFC 90 in October of 2008, Werdum was not kept on the UFC roster. Werdum batted .500 inside the octagon, dropping two fights – the aforementioned dos Santos bout, as well as a decision loss to former champion Andrei Arlovski in a three-round snoozefest at UFC 70 in April of 2007. Werdum did however pick up two wins in the octagon, both against legitimate fighters. He took out Brandon Vera with punches in the closing moments of the first round of their fight at UFC 85, a stoppage that was somewhat controversial at the time. Werdum's most impressive statistic during his UFC stint came at UFC 80 in January of 2008, when he stopped fellow Brazilian Gabriel Gonzaga via TKO in the second round of their fight in the semi-headline position of the UK-based event.

Despite the 50/50 run, Werdum feels his exit from the company wasn't exactly handled with as much respect as he would have liked. The now revived heavyweight contender told PVT Mag that he felt used by the UFC. “They kind of used me and threw me out. That UFC business is complicated,” Werdum said to the Brazilian publication.

He continued, “It

LATEST NEWS

Desmond Green vs. Josh Emmett Added to UFC 210

Former Titan FC featherweight champ and Bellator MMA featherweight tournament finalist Desmond Green (19–5) will make his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut at UFC 210...
Paul Felder

Paul Felder Wants to ‘Finish Fights & Put Butts in The Seats’ The Rest...

Paul Felder's plans for the rest of 2017 are pretty straightforward. Last night (Feb. 19), Felder took on Alessandro Ricci in the main card opener of...
Kelvin Gastelum

Kelvin Gastelum: ‘It Would be an Honor to Share The Cage With GSP’

Kelvin Gastelum is well aware of Georges St-Pierre's return. Late last week, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White announced that "Rush" has agreed to...
Jose Aldo

Jose Aldo: ‘Max Holloway is Not a Complete Fighter, But He’s Dangerous’

Jose Aldo may not look at Max Holloway as the best fighter in the world, but he is aware of the dangers he presents. Aldo,...
Germaine de Randamie

Germaine de Randamie: ‘There’s no Reason For me to Run From Cris Cyborg’

Germaine de Randamie isn't down with the notion that she is ducking Cris Cyborg. At UFC 208 inside the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY, Germaine...