According to sources, the event will be sanctioned using the UFC's Octagon size and the commission will permit the use of elbow and knee strikes. Meanwhile, the UFC has agreed to ban foot stomps to a fighter.
The commission said in a statement Wednesday obtained by The Canadian Press: “During this meeting, the board was assured by the promoter that the safety of the participants would be assured and that rules governing combat sports will be respected. As a result, the board has granted the license for mixing boxing requested by the UFC, which will allow them to hold the UFC97 show on April 18.”
Promoters for the UFC, including owner Lorenzo Fertitta and vice president of regulatory affairs Marc Ratner, met with members of the Quebec Boxing Commission and provincial government officials Tuesday night in Montreal to iron out a plan to hold the event, despite discrepancies between the rules the province wanted to enforce and those followed by the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
The differences included a smaller Octagon size and not allowing strikes with bent elbows or bent knees. The commission had said before if the UFC did not want to follow its rules, it could “take its business” elsewhere. The UFC had already put such a Plan B into place, having booked the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for that date.