Although it had been rumored that Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Silva would be meeting up at Strikeforce on January 29th it now appears the date has been changed to an unannounced February card according to a report from Sherdog.com who confirmed the news with both M-1 Global and Strikeforce.
The specifics of when Fedor Emelianenko will fight again for Strikeforce have been tough to nail down as contract negoiations between his team at M-1 Global and Strikeforce try to work out the details of a new contract.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker spoke this week about how things have been going in getting the contract complete:
“You know how these things are, they go back and forth. We send them documents; they send them back… They want changes; we want changes. I'm just trying to get the lawyers to hurry and finish it up so we can make some great fights,” said Coker. “It's hard to talk about opponents. Normally, you talk to someone about opponents only after you have a contract with somebody. We're working through the final stages of the deal. We are not there yet. I wish we were.”
“From my perspective, I'd like [Fedor] to fight Alistair Overeem on [Jan. 29], but that won't happen [laughs],” he said. “It's been a very challenging process, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. We're at the very end stage of this process and I'm sure you can understand that I have a confidentiality provision in this agreement. I can't really talk about this contract at all.”