By Chris Howie
MMANEWS.COM Staff Writer
Although it may not be as significant in the MMA landscape as it may have been say, 3 years ago, M-1 Global President Vadim Finkelstein has given an interview to a Russian website outlining the promotions future plans, of which include a request to UFC President Dana White for a Fedor Emelianenko vs. Cain Velasquez match in Russia.
Highlights of the interview included:
– M-1 will offer UFC a one-time fight Fedor vs. Cain.
– The fight is to be in Russia.
– Vadim believes that a fight between Fedor vs. Cain would bring in just as much money if not more than any UFC fight. Says the interest in Russia towards MMA and Fedor in particular is huge.
– Says Alexander is still not signed with M-1, but if he signs there may likely be DREAM vs. M-1 fights and Alex will participate.
– For New Year's show, they are trying to have Fedor vs. Ishii, but nothing is signed yet, but M-1 is hoping it will go through. Vadim mentions potential concerns on Ishii's part (I presume Vadim is speculating), where Ishii may be afraid to fight Fedor in Japan and lose in front of his home audience.
– Putin called Monson in the hotel room to see how he was doing after the fight. Monson was touched.
– Fedor went to Monson after the fight in the dressing room, apologized for the damage, and thanked Monson for taking the fight. Monson says Fedor is a great person.
– At the end of the interview, Vadim is asked “I can only imagine how Dana will be surprised for the Fedor vs. Cain fight offer”, and Vadim says “Dana will say: again this crazy Russian ! (laughing)”.
The interview also comes on the heels of M-1 executive Evgeni Kogan posting cryptic twitter messages such as “Shit's about to get real. As real as it gets.” “As real as it gets” has been a quote used to described the UFC for years.
Leave your feedback on this article by posting a comment directly below! You can also chat about the latest news in the MMANEWS.COM Forums and/or the MMANEWS.COM Facebook. If that wasn't enough, MMANEWS.COM is now on Twitter as well @mmanewsdotcom.