Brock Lesnar appeared on ESPN’s Sports Center on Tuesday afternoon and announced that his MMA career is officially over.
Lesnar told Michelle Beadle that it was a very difficult decision that he’s thought about a lot over the past year. He gave serious consideration to getting back into the Octagon and despite the fact that “the fighter inside of him wants to compete,” his MMA career is now officially over
Brock Lesnar signed a new contract with WWE last night at Monday Night RAW after Vince McMahon made him an offer that he simply could not refuse. His WWE deal was set to expire next week, with WWE and MMA insiders expecting a bidding war over his services.
At this stage in his life, he wants to have fun and something was missing in recent months as he was training for a potential MMA return. He feels he was born to be an entertainer and questioned what there was to prove if he did fight again.
The prospect of Brock Lesnar returning to MMA was intriguing to say the least. After shocking the world and capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship from Randy Couture at UFC 91 back in November 2008, the former NCAA wrestling champion battled with diverticulitis, a life-threatening intestinal disease. He would successfully defend the title twice before dropping the gold to Cain Velasquez in October 2010. He lost his next fight against Alistair Overeem in what would be his final professional MMA fight. He finished with a career record of 5-3.
Lesnar had multiple surgeries as a result of the intestinal disease and had a 12-inch piece of his colon removed. Sadly, MMA fans won’t get another chance to see what Brock Lesnar is capable of while 100% healthy.
Brock Lesnar will defend WWE World Heavyweight Championship against Roman Reigns this Sunday at WrestleMania 31 from Santa Clara, California.
While the terms of Lesnar’s deal were not revealed, it’s expected that he will continue to work a limited schedule that does not require him to be on television every week or work live events.
Other MMANews.com Links:
– Photos: CM Punk’s First Official UFC Fighter Portraits Shoot
– Photos: UFC Octagon Girl Arianny Celeste’s New Playboy Shoot (March 19th)
– Photos & Video: Ronda Rousey In Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit Issue
– Miesha Tate Nude Photos Leak, Being Sold Online
– CM Punk Reveals Specific Month He Expects To Make UFC Debut
– Cyborg: “I’ll Make Ronda Rousey’s Mom Cry When I Beat Her P*ssy Daughter”
– Duke Roufus: “CM Punk Would Have Lost Scrimmage Bout If Judges Scored It”
– Ronda Rousey: “I Could Beat 100% Of UFC’s Male Bantamweight Fighters
– Top UFC Executive Quits After Backstage Incident With Ronda Rousey’s Camp
– Ronda Rousey’s Mom Takes A Shot At Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino
– Video: Dana White Talks About Brock Lesnar Possibly Returning To UFC
– Video: Jon Jones, Anthony Johnson Prank Dana White With Fake Brawl
– UFC Octagon Girl Arianny Celeste Calls Ronda Rousey A “Bully,” Rousey Responds
– Video: Former UFC Fighter Posts Clip Of Brutal Challenge Match In His Gym