Ultimate Fighter season 17 winner Kelvin Gastelum, who was inching closer and closer to top contender status in the UFC‘s welterweight division before being forced to move up to middleweight by UFC President Dana White after having issues making 170 pounds, lost his first fight back at welterweight this past weekend.
Gastelum lost to rising contender Neil Magny via split decision in the main event of UFC Fight Night 78 in Monterrey, Mexico on Saturday evening. Two of the three judges had the fight scored 48-47 in favor of Magny, while one judge gave Gastelum the nod with a 48-47 score.
In the co-main event of the evening, Ultimate Fighter season one winner Diego Sanchez lost to the current number four ranked UFC featherweight contender Ricardo Lamas. Lamas won all three rounds against the fan favorite Sanchez, earning 30-27 scores from the judges across the board.
Below are quick match results of the UFC Fight Night 78 event from Saturday, November 21, 2015.
– Neil Magny def. Kelvin Gastelum via split decision (47-48, 48-47 x2)
– Ricardo Lamas def. Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
– Henry Cejudo def. Jussier Formiga via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)
– Erick Montano def. Enrique Marin via split decision 28-29, 29-28 x 2)
– Enrique Barzola def Horactio Gutierrez via unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 30-26)
– Leandro Silva def. Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
– Erik Perez def. Taylor Lapilus via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
– Bartosz Fabinski def. Hector Urbina (29-28, 30-27 x2)
– Alejandro Perez def. Scott Jorgensen via submission (leg injury) (2nd, 4:26)
– Andre Fili def. Gabriel Benitez via first-round KO (3:13)
– Alvaro Herrera def. Vernon Ramos via first-round TKO (:30)
– Marco Polo Reyes def. Cezar Arzamendia via first-round KO (3:42)
– Michael Prazeres def. Valmir Lazaro via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)