On Saturday evening, UFC held their UFC Fight Night 89 event in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and it was definitely an eventful show.
In the main event of the evening, Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson proved that he is absolutely the real-deal, and that his knockout of Johny Hendricks wasn’t a fluke, but instead a sign of how legitimate a contender he truly is.
Thompson defeated Canada’s own Rory MacDonald via unanimous decision after five rounds, lumping up the former title contender in the later rounds in the fight and making himself the clear-cut number one contender and the man who deserves to fight the winner of the Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley UFC Welterweight title fight scheduled for later this year.
In the co-main event of the evening, Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone proved he is the real deal at 170 pounds by dismantling Patrick Cote, stopping the Canadian contender after dropping him three times.
Another fight of note saw Steve Bosse edge out Sean O’Connell in an epic battle that went the distance, but was one of those type of fights that seemed like it came straight out of a movie, complete with the true appreciative audience applause at its’ conclusion.
Below are quick-match results of the UFN 89 event from Saturday evening.
UFC Fight Night 89 Preliminary Results (UFC Fight Pass):
– Ali Bagautinov def. Geane Herrera via unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
– Colby Covington def. Jonathan Meunier via submission (rear-naked choke) (R3, :54)
– Randa Markos def. Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger via UD (30-27, 29-28 x2)
– Elias Theodorou def. Sam Alvey via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27 x2)
UFC Fight Night 89 Preliminary Card Results (FS2):
– Joe Soto def. Chris Beal via submission (rear-naked choke) (R3, 3:39)
– Krzysztof Jotko def. Tamdan McCrory via first-round TKO (0:59)
– Misha Cirkunov def. Ion Cutelaba via submission (arm triangle) (R3, 1:22)
– Jason Saggo def. Leandro Silva via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
UFC Fight Night 89 Main Card Results (FS1):
– Joanne Calderwood def. Valerie Letourneau via third-round TKO (2:51)
– Olivier Aubin-Mercier def. Thibault Gouti via submission (rear-naked choke) (R3, 2:28)
– Steve Bosse def. Sean O’Connell via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
– Donald Cerrone def. Patrick Cote via third-round TKO (2:35)
– Stephen Thompson def. Rory MacDonald via unanimous decision (50-45 x2, 48-47)