With Brock Lesnar making his long-awaited Octagon return this coming Saturday, there has been a lot of speculation and questions regarding what the future holds for Lesnar in the sport of MMA following what his employers in WWE are calling a “one-off” fight with Mark Hunt at the landmark UFC 200 pay-per-view event.
FOX Sports asked Lesnar about his future in MMA after the fight with Hunt.
“I don’t know. I feel really good,” Lesnar told FOX Sports last week about his future with the UFC. “Training camp is going great. I’m happy. I’m happy with my life. I’m happy with everything. Yes, since I left the Octagon after I got beat by (Alistair) Overeem and kind of forced out of the cage because of my illness, it haunted me for a long time. Here I am and before it’s too late, I want to get back in the cage and have some fun with it. This is all about having fun.”
As Lesnar explained, he was actually originally talking with the UFC about making his surprising return at their upcoming Madison Square Garden debut in New York in November. Whether or not that is still a possibility now that he is fighting at UFC 200 next weekend remains to be seen.
“Not very long. I wasn’t sure if it was even going to happen so I don’t remember the date, but I’ve been training four or five weeks,” Lesnar said. “Before my call to Dana (White), I wasn’t even sure this thing was going to happen at UFC 200.”
“We had talked and thought maybe we could put something together by November for New York. But hell, I’ll fight whenever the money’s right and we took it to the eleventh hour and that’s where we’re at. So it is what it is.”
Lesnar vs. Hunt takes place as part of the UFC 200 landmark pay-per-view event, which goes down live on Saturday, July 9, 2016 from the brand new T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Join us here at MMANews.com on 7/9 for live coverage of the UFC 200 PPV!