Tonight (Sat. July 14, 2018) the UFC is in Boise, Idaho from the CenturyLink Arena to host UFC Fight Night 133.
Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos defeated former World Series Of Fighting (WSOF) heavyweight champion Blagoy Ivanov in the main event to welcome the Bulgarian to the promotion. The co-main event featured a welterweight contest between Sage Northcutt and Zak Ottow, which “Super Sage” won via second round knockout..
Also on the card was a featherweight match-up between Dennis Bermudez and Rick Green, Dana White‘s Looking For A Fight alumni Randy Brown was finished by Niko Price in spectacular fashion, and former UFC featherweight title challenger Chad Mendes returns to the Octagon after serving a two year United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) suspension in a big way.
Check out MMA News’ coverage of UFC Boise here below:
- Heavyweight: Junior Dos Santos vs. Blagoy Ivanov
JDS pins Ivanov against the cage early but Ivanov just misses on some counter strikes. A big overhand misses for JDS. Ivanov lands a big lead overhand but JDS eats it, but there is damage as a cut opens up. A right hook lands for Ivanov as JDS comes in. JDS uses a front kick to the body as he presses forward. A high kick to the body lands for JDS. Ivanov comes forward with a blitz of hooks but lands nothing. Another kick to the body lands for JDS. The round comes to an end.
JDS just misses on a high kick and a spinning back kick. A big combination lands for JDS. A big overhand from JDS connects. A leg kick from JDS takes Ivanov off balance. A big couple of shots land for JDS that bobble Ivanov’s head around but he takes them nicely. The round comes to an end.
Ivanov comes forward with a couple of hooks that land. A uppercut connects for Ivanov as well. He’s starting to press forward now, as per his coach’s instructions in between rounds. Some hooks land for Ivanov again after JDS pokes his eye but it goes uncalled. A really big left hook lands for Ivanov but JDS continues to move around and fires back with a cross that’s blocked. A big right hand lands for Ivanov but JDS’ fingers are extended and Herb Dean stops the action to warn him. Another spinning kick misses for JDS. Both men land stiff straight hands to end the round.
The two exchange strikes but the ref stops the action because JDS has some loose tape that needs to be cut. A big body kick lands for JDS. A few jabs land for JDS and Ivanov just barely lands a left overhand. Ivanov looks tired, he even put his hand on top of the fence for a brief moment in what looked like an attempt to catch his breathe. He also looks very sluggish and is keeping his hands low. A right counter lands for JDS and then he pops another jab. The round comes to an end.
Ivanov’s corner told him he needs a knockout to win this fight, and he’s coming out like he knows it, swinging hard. A hard body kick lands for JDS. An eye poke from JDS stops the action. A doctor comes in to check it out. NO point taken away as it was accidental. Both men bang in the middle of the Octagon with big shots. A bit shot lands for JDS but Ivanov fires back with some of his own. Jab lands for JDS and he hits a body kick as well. They clinch up against the cage momentarily but Ivanov hits a hook and separates. Ivanov lands a strong combination after a missed axe kick from JDS. Right hand lands for JDS and the fight comes to an end.
Official Result: Junior dos Santos def. Blagoy Ivanov via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)
- Welterweight: Sage Northcutt def. Zak Ottow via R2 KO (punches, 3:13)
- Featherweight: Rick Glenn def. Dennis Bermudez via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- Welterweight: Niko Price def. Randy Brown via R2 KO (punches, 1:09)
- Featherweight: Chad Mendes def. Myles Jury via R1 TKO (punches, 2:52)
- Women’s bantamweight: Cat Zingano def. Marion Reneau via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Bantamweight: Alejandro Perez def. Eddie Wineland via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight: Alex Volkanovski def. Darren Elkins via. unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Flyweight: Said Nurmagomedov def. Justin Scoggins via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Featherweight: Raoni Barcelos def. Kurt Holobaugh via R3 TKO (punches, 1:29)
UFC Fight Pass Exclusive Prelims:
- Women’s flyweight: Liz Carmouche def. Jennifer Maia via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Flyweight: Mark De La Rosa def. Elias Garcia via R2 submission (rear-naked choke, 2:00)
- Women’s strawweight: Jessica Aguilar def. Jodie Esquibel via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)