UFC Stockholm went down today (Sat. June 1, 2019) from the Ericsson Globe in Stockholm, Sweden on ESPN+. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy. It’s headlined by a meeting between Alexander Gustafsson and Anthony Smith in a light heavyweight bout.
Also, light heavyweights Aleksandar Rakic vs. Jimi Manuwa competed in the co-main event, featherweights Makwan Amirkhani and Chris Fishgold, Damir Hadzovic vs. Christos Giagos in a 155-pound scrap, and finally, Sung Bin Jo vs. Daniel Teymur take place on the card. It was certain to have a great night of fights.
Check out MMA News’ UFC results below:
- Light heavyweight bout: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Anthony Smith
Round 1: Smith started out with some solid leg kicks while pressing forward. Gustafsson looks light on his feet while bouncing trying to find his spot to get in. Gustafsson’s shin is bleeding after checking multiple kicks from Smith. Smith is waiting for a chance to uncork a big strike.
Round 2: Smith landed a nice head kick mid-round up against the fence. He continues to work Gustafsson over with leg kicks while mixing up his jabs. Smith did miss a big shot as Gustafsson moved out of the way and it appeared to frustrate Smith as he looked at his corner. Smith shoots and eats an uppercut as Gustafsson slips away. Smith started throwing some bombs.
Round 3: The two fighters start to exchange some wild strikes. Gustafsson cracks him with a hard jab. Another low kick from Gus and Smith walks forward. Gustafsson took him down with forty seconds left in the round after a body shot. Gustafsson gets half guard on top to end the round.
Round 4:Smith is starting to slow down and his output has decreased while Gustafsson is still bouncing around. Smith is stalking him and missed a wild head kick that he baited him in. Smith backs up to the fence and dragged him down where he got his back. Gustafsson stood up a bit while Smith was hanging on. Smith flattens him out while landing some big elbows and punches. Smith got the rear-naked choke and Gustafsson tapped out. After the fight, Gustafsson said “The is over” and left the gloves in the Octagon. It appears that he retired.
Official Result: Anthony Smith finishes Alexander Gustafsson via submission (RNC 2:38 R4)
- Light heavyweight bout: Aleksander Rakic def. Jimi Manuwa via knockout (head kick) Round 1 (:42)
- Featherweight bout: Makwan Amirkhani def. Chris Fishgold via sub (anaconda choke) (R2, 4:25)
- Lightweight bout: Christos Giagos defeats Damir Hadzovic via unanimous decision (29-27×2, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Daniel Teymur defeats Sung Bin Jo via unanimous decision (30-27×2, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Sergey Khandozhko def. Rostem Akman via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Lina Lansberg def. Tonya Evinger via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)
- Lightweight bout: Leonardo Santos def. Stevie Ray via first-round KO (2:17)
- Lightweight bout: Frank Camacho def. Nick Hein via second-round TKO (4:56)
- Women’s featherweight bout: Bea Malecki def. Eduarda Santana via sub (RNC) (R2, 1:59)
- Light heavyweight bout: Devin Clark def. Darko Stosic via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Joel Alvarez def. Danilo Belluardo via second-round TKO (2:22)