UFC 242 went down today (Sat. September 7, 2019) from The Arena on Yas Island and we have you covered with the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Dustin Poirier
Nurmagomedov got a takedown after a slow start midway through the first round and got his back where he teased neck cranks. Complete domination by Nurmagomedov in the first round with holding him. In the second round, Poirier stunned him and went after him while Nurmagomedov was trying to recover. Nurmagomedov took him down with a double leg to get the fight back where he wanted. Nurmagomedov took him down yet again in the third round but Poirier teased a guillotine choke but Nurmagomedov got out of it. Nurmagomedov got the rear-naked choke and got the win.
Edson Barboza vs. Paul Felder
Felder was cut open with a headbutt early in the first round but the doctor gave the okay to continue. They clashed heads which opened him up. Things changed in the second round as Barboza scored a takedown and got full guard where they traded strikes. Felder went for an armbar in midway through the round but Barboza was able to escape. Barboza was cut from an elbow from Felder from the bottom. Felder walked away with the decision win.
Islam Makhachev vs. Davi Ramos
These guys were looking to strike it out. Makhachev clipped him in the first round but Ramos was able to recover. Ramos landed a good right hand late. Ramos was looking for a takedown in round two but wasn’t able to get it. Makhachev stuffs it and they’re in the clinch. Ramos still not leading, and still slowly getting out-worked. Ramos pushes forward again and gets dropped hard by a knee. Makhachev chases him to the ground with a flurry of punches. The fight went the distance and Makhachev got the win.
Curtis Blaydes vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov
This one was all Blaydes, who dominated this fight with his wrestling and ground control with a touch of big bombs. In the second round, Blaydes started to rain down big shots until the referee stepped in for the stoppage.
Mairbek Taisumov vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira
It was mostly striking through the rounds as Ferreira was constantly walking down his opponent. They had some nice striking exchanges. Taisumov with a nice leg kick that knocked Ferreria off balance. The big moment in round one saw Taisumov caught him with a strike just behind the ear that led to Ferriera going backwards. They slugged it out to the bell that saw Ferreira pick up the decision win.
The co-headliner saw Edson Barboza vs. Paul Felder in a lightweight showdown.
Islam Makhachev vs. Davi Ramos in a lightweight bout, Curtis Blaydes vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov in a heavyweight bout, and Mairbek Taisumov vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira in a lightweight bout rounded out the five bout main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights from Abu Dhabi. Check out MMA News’ UFC 242 results below:
Quick UFC 242 Results
Main Card (2 PM ET/PPV)
- UFC lightweight title bout: Khabib Nurmagomedov def. Dustin Poirier by submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:06 of Round 3
- Lightweight bout: Paul Felder def. Edson Barboza by split decision (27-30, 29-28, 30-27)
- Lightweight bout: Islam Makhachev def. Davi Ramos by unanimous decision (29-27, 30-26, 30-26)
- Heavyweight bout: Curtis Blaydes def. Shamil Abdurakhimov via technical knockout (Round 2, 2:22)
- Lightweight bout: Diego Ferreira def. Mairbek Taisumov by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-27)
Preliminary Card (12 PM ET/FX)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Joanne Calderwood def. Andrea Lee by split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Zubaira Tukhugov vs. Lerone Murphy ends in a split draw (29-28, 28-29, 28-28)
- Women’s featherweight bout: Sarah Moras def. Liana Jojua by TKO (strikes) at 2:26 of Round 3
- Lightweight bout: Ottman Azaitar def. Teemu Packalen by knockout (punch) at 3:33 of Round 1
Preliminary Card (10:15 AM ET/ESPN+)
- Welterweight bout: Belal Muhammad def. Takashi Sato by submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:55 of Round 3
- Welterweight bout: Muslim Salikhov def. Nordine Taleb by TKO (punch) at 4:26 of Round 1
- Middleweight bout: Omari Akhmedov def. Zak Cummings by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Don Madge def. Fares Ziam by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)