UFC Boston went down tonight (Friday, October 18, 2019) from the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Dominick Reyes and Chris Weidman in a light heavyweight bout. The co-headliner saw Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens in a featherweight bout.
Greg Hardy vs. Ben Sosoli in a heavyweight bout, Joe Lauzon vs. Jonathan Pearce in a lightweight bout, Maycee Barber vs. Gillian Robertson in a women’s flyweight bout, and Deron Winn vs. Darren Stewart in a middleweight bout rounded out the six bout main card.
Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman
Reyes landed a counter left straight hand that dropped Weidman then fought through up kicks and landed three hammer fists on the ground in round one to wrap this one up.
Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens
Rodríguez nearly finished Stephens in the second round with strikes on the ground before going for a guillotine choke. Rodríguez pinned him up against the fence and smashed him with more strikes. Rodríguez went for a d’arce choke but let that go. Stephens was able to get back to his feet and they went back to striking. They continued to put on an incredible fight in the third round with some wild exchanges. Stephens managed to get a takedown and land some big strikes from the top. In the end, the judges gave the win to Rodríguez
Greg Hardy vs. Ben Sosoli
This was a different fight for Hardy as it went the distance. For once, his opponent didn’t seem scared of him as Sosoli stood there and boxed with him. In between rounds two and three, Hardy used his asthma inhaler It wasn’t the greatest fight but Hardy did enough to outstrike him and get the win by decision.
Joe Lauzon vs. Jonathan Pearce
Lauzon tagged him a few times before getting a trip takedown. He got his back and locked in a half nelson then smashed him with his right hand until the referee called it off.
Maycee Barber vs. Gillian Robertson
Barber was extremely aggressive right out of the gate. Barber stunned her with a shot then pounced with a flurry of strikes for about 20 seconds up against the fence to earn the TKO win.
Deron Winn vs. Darren Stewart
It was all Winn in this contest. Winn dominated this fight with his takedowns and ability to keep the fight on the ground. Stewart did have his moments in the fight when he was able to strike. In fact, at the end of the second round, Stewart stunned him just before the sound of the bell. Stewart turned things around in the third round with his striking. The judges gave the win to Stewart by split decision.
Quick UFC Boston Results
Main Card (9pm ET/ESPN2)
- Light heavyweight bout: Dominick Reyes def. Chris Weidman by TKO (punches) at 1:43 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Yair Rodriguez def. Jeremy Stephens by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Heavyweight bout: Greg Hardy def. Ben Sosoli via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon def. Jonathan Pearce by TKO (punches) at 1:33 of Round 1
- Women’s flyweight bout: Maycee Barber def. Gillian Robertson by TKO (punches) at 3:04 of Round 1
- Middleweight bout: Darren Stewart def. Deron Winn by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
Preliminary Card (6pm ET/ESPN2)
- Featherweight bout: Charles Rosa def. Manny Bermudez by submission (armbar) at 2:46 of Round 1
- Women’s flyweight bout: Molly McCann def. Diana Belbita by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Featherweight bout: Sean Woodson def. Kyle Bochniak by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Bantamweight bout: Randy Costa def. Boston Salmon by TKO (punches) at 2:15 of Round 1
- Welterweight bout: Sean Brady def. Court McGee via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Middleweight bout: Brendan Allen def. Kevin Holland by submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:38 of Round 2
- Heavyweight bout: Tanner Boser def. Daniel Spitz by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)