UFC 244 went down tonight (Sat. November 2, 2019) from the Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
The co-headliner will saw Kelvin Gastelum vs. Darren Till in a middleweight bout. Stephen Thompson vs. Vicente Luque in a welterweight bout, Kevin Lee vs. Gregor Gillespie in a lightweight bout, and Derrick Lewis vs. Blagoy Ivanov in a heavyweight bout rounded out the five bout main card.
Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz
Masvidal dropped him early in the first round with two right hands then a head kick. Masvidal swarmed him with strikes on the ground but Diaz covered up well. Diaz was bleeding badly after being cut open on the side of his right eye. Masvidal dropped Diaz in the second round again but Diaz was able to recover and get back to his feet. Both guys were throwing bombs but Masvidal was getting the better of the striking exchanges. In the clinch, Masvidal was overpowering and shifting to his advantage while landing shots. Masvidal changed his game plan and took Diaz down near the end of the third round. After the third round, the doctor stopped the fight due to the cut that Diaz had. Masvidal was awarded the TKO win and the BMF Title.
Kelvin Gastelum vs. Darren Till
This was a close technical fight that both men wanted to exchange. They used punches and kicks in order to implement their gameplans, which were questionable as not a ton of action was taking place. This led to a frustrating crowd both in attendance and online. Till got the better of him in the pocket and walked away with the decision win.
Vicente Luque vs. Stephen Thompson
This was a straight-up striking fest with Luque getting the better of the former title contender, especially with his counter striking. Luque stunned him twice in the first round where he continued in the second round. Thompson dropped him with a body kick but Luque got up and stunned him with a hook but Thompson pushed forward with a flurry of strikes. Thompson dropped him in the third round with a straight left hand and tried to finish him on the ground but couldn’t and let him back to his feet. In the end, the judges gave the win to Thompson.
Blagoy Ivanov vs. Derrick Lewis
Both guys came out swinging and put on a heck of a back and forth slugfest. In the second round, Lewis stunned him but Ivanov answered right back. Lewis nodded at someone in the crowd and this allowed Ivanov to take him down and go for a kimura. Lewis survived this and got up where he went after Ivanov. These two went the distance with Lewis getting the decision win.
Gregor Gillespie vs. Kevin Lee
This one didn’t last long as Lee hit him with a right hand that was followed up with a head kick and that’s a wrap.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC 244 results below:
Quick UFC 244 Results
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Welterweight bout: Jorge Masvidal def. Nate Diaz by TKO (doctor stoppage-cut) at 5:00 of Round 3
- Middleweight bout: Darren Till def. Kelvin Gastelum by split decision (27-30, 29-28, 30-27)
- Welterweight bout: Stephen Thompson def. Vicente Luque by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-27)
- Heavyweight bout: Derrick Lewis def. Blagoy Ivanov via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Kevin Lee def. Gregor Gillespie by knockout (head kick) at 2:47 of Round 1
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN2, 8 p.m. ET)
- Light heavyweight bout: Corey Anderson def. Johnny Walker by TKO (punches) at 2:07 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Shane Burgos def. Makwan Amirkhani by TKO (punches) at 4:32 of Round 3
- Middleweight bout: Edmen Shahbazyan def. Brad Tavares by knockout (head kick) at 2:27 of Round 1
- Heavyweight bout: Jair Rozenstruik def. Andrei Arlovski by knockout (punch) at :29 of Round 1
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN2/ESPN+, 6:15 p.m. ET)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Katlyn Chookagian def. Jennifer Maia by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Welterweight bout: Lyman Good def. Chance Rencountre by TKO (punches) at 2:03 of Round 3
- Featherweight bout: Hakeem Dawodu def. Julio Arce by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)