UFC Busan went down today (Sat. December 21, 2019) from the Sajik Arena in Busan, South Korea. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Frankie Edgar and Chan Sung Jung in a featherweight bout. The co-headliner saw Volkan Oezdemir vs. Aleksandar Rakic in a light heavyweight collision.
Dooho Choi vs. Charles Jourdain in a featherweight bout, Da Un Jung vs. Mike Rodriguez in a light heavyweight bout, Marc-Andre Barriault vs. Jun Yong Park in a middleweight bout, and Kyung Ho Kang vs. Liu Pingyuan in a bantamweight bout rounded out the main card.
Frankie Edgar vs. Chan Sung Jung
Jung stunned him with a hook then swarmed him with strikes before going down. Jung jumped on his back and flattened him out and landed some big shots that eventually saw the fight be stopped after Jung dropped him with a flurry.
Volkan Oezdemir vs. Aleksandar Rakic
Rakic was working for a takedown throughout the first round and was able to get it. They had a wild exchange up against the fence once Volkan got back to his feet. Throughout the fight, Oezdemir was throwing several leg kicks. He was also doing a good job of landing short elbows while up against the fence when Rakic was attempting a takedown. The third round saw most of the same and in the end, Oezdemir got the split decision win.
Dooho Choi vs. Charles Jourdain
Choi came right after him and scored a takedown where he rained down some big shots. Jourdain was able to get back to his feet where he traded with him. Choi clipped him with a nice hook. Jourdain dropped him to end the first round. In the second round, Jourdain dropped Choi with a straight left and then followed up with strikes.
Da Un Jung vs. Mike Rodriguez
Jung scored a KO win when he a straight right hand then swarmed him with strikes in the first round of the fight.
Marc-Andre Barriault vs. Jun Yong Park
In round one, after some striking, Park was able to score a takedown. That didn’t stay long as Barriault got back to his feet. In the second round, Barriault started to let his hands go but Park fired right back, got him up against the fence and took him down. Barriault came out throwing strikes but Park wanted no part in that and scored a takedown. They traded strikes in the third round as Barriault was bleeding. Park ends up getting the decision win.
Kyung Ho Kang vs. Liu Pingyuan
Kang scored a takedown right out of the gate and got full guard. Kang landed a series of shots for the nearly four minutes advantage. Liu did a good of defending himself while trying to get off his back. In the second round and throughout, Liu was throwing hands but Kang was determined to score takedowns, which he did. This was all Kang with his takedowns and control as Liu had nothing for him. Kang grabbed the split decision win.
It’s certain to have a great night of fights from Busan. Check out MMA News’ UFC Busan results below:
Quick UFC Busan Results
MAIN CARD (ESPN+, 5 a.m. ET)
- Featherweight bout: Chan Sung Jung def. Frankie Edgar by TKO (punches) at 3:18 of Round 1
- Light heavyweight bout: Volkan Oezdemir def. Aleksandar Rakic by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Charles Jourdain def. Doo Ho Choi by TKO (punches) at 4:32 of Round 2
- Light heavyweight bout: Da-un Jung def. Mike Rodriguez by knockout (punches) at 1:04 of Round 1
- Middleweight bout: Jun Yong Park def. Marc-Andre Barriault by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Kyung Ho Kang def. Liu Pingyuan by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, 2 a.m. ET)
- Heavyweight bout: Ciryl Gane def. Tanner Boser by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Featherweight bout: SeungWoo Choi def. Suman Mokhtarian by unanimous decision (29-26, 29-26, 29-25)
- Lightweight bout: Omar Morales def. Dong Hyun Ma via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 29-28)
- Flyweight bout: Alexandre Pantoja def. Matt Schnell via KO (punch) – R1, 4:17
- Bantamweight bout: Raoni Barcelos def. Said Nurmagomedov via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Amanda Lemos def. Miranda Granger via technical submission (rear-naked choke) – R1, 3:43
- Flyweight bout: Heili Alateng def. Ryan Benoit via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)