UFC Rio Rancho went down tonight (Saturday, February 15, 2020) from the Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, New Mexico and we have results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
In the co-main event, Diego Sanchez vs. Michel Pereira in a welterweight bout was set. Rounding out the six-bout main card was Montana De La Rosa vs. Mara Romero Borella in a women’s flyweight bout, Brok Weaver vs. Kazula Vargas in a lightweight showdown, Rogerio Bontorin vs. Ray Borg in a flyweight scrap, and Lando Vannata vs. Yancy Medeiros in a lightweight bout.
Corey Anderson vs. Jan Blachowicz
This one didn’t last long as Blachowicz starched him with an overhand right then followed up with a hammer fist for no reason.
Diego Sanchez vs. Michel Pereira
Sanchez came out with a rolling cartwheel kick but it’s blocked. Pereira landed a flying knee but Diego pursed a takedown that Pereira walked out of. Sanchez had an interesting offense with rolling kicks, retreating then running attacks. Meanwhile, Pereira, who is known for interesting moves inside of the Octagon, was being tactical in his attacks. In the third round, Sanchez was down and got kneed in the head, which busted him open. Sanchez couldn’t continue because he couldn’t see out of his right eye due to the blood. The fight was stopped and Sanchez got the DQ win.
Montana De La Rosa vs. Mara Romero Borella
This was a straight-up grappling affair as the entire fight took place on the ground. They trade positions both on top and bottom as well as trying for submissions while landing strikes. The third round saw them exchange strikes but it was uneventful outside of Rosa dropping her before getting full guard. In the end, the judges gave the win to Rosa.
Brok Weaver vs. Kazula Vargas
After exchanging punches, Vargas scores a takedown in round one. Weaver teased a guillotine choke attempt off his back but Vargas got out. Vargas had him down and landed a blatant knee strike to the jaw of Weaver and that’s a wrap. Weaver wins by DQ.
Rogerio Bontorin vs. Ray Borg
Borg used his pressure to get in close and be able to score a takedown in the first round where he had him pinned up against the fence. In round two, Borg once again scored a takedown and managed to get on his back at one point where he teased submission attempts. Bontorin did a nice job of eventually getting back to his feet but Borg kept getting takedowns. To cap off the third and final round, Borg wrapped off his dominant performance despite missing weight the day before en route of a unanimous decision win.
Lando Vannata vs. Yancy Medeiros
First-round was all striking as Yancy was pressing forward and trying to get inside while Lando was looking to counter strike. This trend continued in round two and three. While Yancy was landing more strikes to the head, Lando was connecting with more kicks to the body and legs. It was a straight-up kickboxing bout that was fun. In the end, the judges gave the win to Lando by decision.
It’s certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC Rio Rancho results below:
Quick UFC Rio Rancho Results
Main Card (8 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Light heavyweight bout: Jan Blachowicz def. Corey Anderson by knockout (punch) at 3:08 of Round 1
- Welterweight bout: Diego Sanchez def. Michel Pereira by disqualification (illegal knee) at 3:09 of Round 3
- Women’s flyweight bout: Montana De La Rosa def. Mara Romero Borella by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Lightweight bout: Brok Weaver def. Kazula Vargas by disqualification (illegal knee) at 4:02 of Round 1
- Flyweight bout: Ray Borg def. Rogerio Bontorin by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-25)
- Lightweight bout: Lando Vannata def. Yancy Medeiros by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Preliminary Card (5 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Welterweight bout: Daniel Rodriguez def. Tim Means by submission (guillotine choke) at 3:37 of Round 2
- Bantamweight bout: John Dodson def. Nathaniel Wood by TKO (punches) at :16 of Round 3
- Lightweight bout: Scott Holtzman def. Jim Miller by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Light heavyweight bout: Devin Clark def. Dequan Townsend by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26)
- Bantamweight bout: Merab Dvalishvili def. Casey Kenney by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-25, 29-28)
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Macy Chiasson def. Shanna Young by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Flyweight bout: Raulian Paiva def. Mark De La Rosa by knockout (punches) at 4:42 of Round 2