White has not revealed the location for UFC 249 but he says the event is still on for April 18. The UFC boss unveiled the updated card. That includes the new main event, which will be an interim lightweight title bout between Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje.
White Says UFC 249 Will Be Safer For Fighters Than Staying At Home
Speaking to ESPN’s Brett Okamoto, White said that he’s taking every health precaution possible to ensure the safety of his fighters on April 18 (h/t BJPenn.com).
“Anyone who shows up to this event and who is a part of it will be safer than anyone who is sitting at home in their house. They’re going to have access to the best medical attention, the best doctors, the best treatment that they can possibly get,” White said.
“You’re safer being at this event with me than actually being at home or going to the grocery store. I promise you that. All these people who are allowed to go to the grocery store, you’re going to be a lot safer at my event than going to the grocery store.”
White recently revealed that he’s securing a private island to hold even more UFC events amid the coronavirus pandemic. UFC 249 will not be on the island but it will take place in a venue that the UFC has under wraps for two months.
Here is a look at the updated card for UFC 249.
- Lightweight: Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje – for interim UFC lightweight title
- Strawweight: Jessica Andrade vs. Rose Namajunas
- Welterweight: Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price
- Featherweight: Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar
- Heavyweight: Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
- Middleweight: Jacare Souza vs. Uriah Hall
- Lightweight: Alex Hernandez vs. Omar Morales
- Bantamweight: Ray Borg vs. Marlon Vera
- Lightweight: Michael Johnson vs. Khama Worthy
- Women’s Bantamweight: Sijara Eubanks vs. Sarah Moras
- Light Heavyweight: Sam Alvey vs. Ryan Spann