UFC on ESPN 8 went down tonight (Sat.May 16, 2020) from Jacksonville, Florida at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Walt Harris and Alistair Overeem in a heavyweight bout. The co-headliner saw Claudia Gadelha vs. Angela Hill battle it out in a women’s strawweight bout.
Edson Barboza vs. Dan Ige in a featherweight bout, Eryk Anders vs. Krzysztof Jotko in a middleweight bout, and Marlon Vera vs. Song Yadong in a featherweight bout rounded out the five bout main card.
Walt Harris vs. Alistair Overeem
Harris dropped him with a big shot then swarmed him on the ground with more big shots. Overeem went for a leg submission but Harris stepped through. Overeem had a good cut on his left eyebrow that was bleeding pretty good. Harris hurt him again but stumbled and Overeem managed to take him down. Overeem had him pinned up against the fence and landed some split shots. Harris got back to his feet but Overeem landed some good knee strikes to the body of Harris. Overeem clipped him with a big shot and Harris went down to the ground. Overeem got on his back and swarmed him with shots until the referee stopped it.
Claudia Gadelha vs. Angela Hill
They had a brief striking exchange before going right into the clinch with Gadelha being the aggressor and scoring a takedown before getting side control. Hill managed to get back to her feet with Gadelha all over her to end the round. In the second round, Hill dropped her right a big right hand then landed some shots on the ground before letting her get back up. Hill was much more aggressive and quicker in this round as if she knew she lost the first round. The third round was very close with both fighters having moments. And the judges gave the win to Gadelha.
Edson Barboza vs. Dan Ige
Barboza dropped him with a big right hand and swarmed on him with strikes on the ground. Igle survived it and got back to his feet. Igle went right after Barboza. Ige has a cut on his right cheek. In the second round, Barboza managed to get a takedown and rained down some big strikes. Ige stayed in the fight but round two was all Barboza. Igle turned things around in the third round and started to bust up Barboza then scored a takedown. A close fight. The judges gave the split decision to Barboza.
Eryk Anders vs. Krzysztof Jotko
Anders was looking to take the fight to the ground and clinched with him up against the fence for the most of the first round and did get a brief takedown. Jotko turned the tide on him and clinched with Anders up the fence and got a brief takedown. Anders charged him and landed him some good shots. This trend continued in the second and third round with Anders in the majority of the control. The judges gave the win to Jotko.
Marlon Vera vs. Song Yadong
They had a feeling out process early in the first round but as it winded down, they traded to throw leather. Yadong pressed him up against the fence and worked over the body with strikes. Yadong cracked him with a good left hand but that didn’t stop Vera from continuing to push forward and keep Yadong back peddling. Vera dragged him down for a takedown in the third round and got full guard. Moments later, Yadong managed to get back to his feet. Vera got a late round takedown. In the end, the judges gave the win to Yadong by decision.
Quick UFC on ESPN 8 Results
MAIN CARD (ESPN, 9 p.m. ET)
- Heavyweight bout: Alistair Overeem def. Walt Harris by TKO (punches) at 3:00 of Round 2
- Women’s strawweight bout: Claudia Gadelha def. Angela Hill by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Dan Ige def. Edson Barboza by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Middleweight bout: Krzysztof Jotko def. Eryk Anders by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Song Yadong def. Marlon Vera by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, 6:00 p.m. ET)
- Welterweight bout: Miguel Baeza def. Matt Brown by knockout (punches) at :18 of Round 2
- Middleweight bout: Kevin Holland def. Anthony Hernandez by TKO (strikes) at :39 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Giga Chikadze def. Irwin Rivera by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Nate Landwehr def. Darren Elkins by unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27
- Women’s flyweight bout: Cortney Casey def. Mara Romero Borella by submission (armbar) at 3:36 of Round 1
- Heavyweight bout: Rodrigo Nascimento def. Don’Tale Mayes by submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:05 of Round 2