UFC on ESPN 9 went down tonight (Saturday, May 30, 2020) from Las Vegas, Nevada at the Apex and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
The co-headliner saw Blagoy Ivanov vs. Augusto Sakai battle it out in the co-main event. Billy Quarantillo vs Spike Carlyle, Brok Weaver vs Roosevelt Roberts in a lightweight showdown, and Mackenzie Dern vs Hannah Cifers in a women’s strawweight bout rounded out the main card.
Tyron Woodley vs. Gilbert Burns
Just a minute into the first round, both guys landed at the same time but Woodley got rocked after eating some big uppercuts. Burns pounced on him and Woodley eventually dropped. Burns got full mount with plenty of time to inflict damage. Woodley had a good size cut over his left eye but managed to get back to his feet. Burns scored a takedown in the second round but Woodley got back to his feet where they would clinch against the fence. Woodley started to throw some big bombs in the third round. Woodley started to clinch as we entered the fourth round but Burns just kept throwing. Burns dropped Woodley with a right hand but Woodley got up and clinched while trying to recover. The fight went to the ground where Burns went for a submission attempt only to run out of time. They exchanged until the fight was over. The judges gave the win to Burns.
Blagoy Ivanov vs. Augusto Sakai
A typical heavyweight starts as both guys were throwing leather with Ivanov trying to clinch with his opponent. Sakai tried to hunt down his opponent and let his hands go as the second round took over. Sakai was working over the legs of Ivanov with leg kicks. Ivanov scored a takedown to end the second round. The exchange continued in round three. The judges gave the win to Sakai by split decision.
Billy Quarantillo vs Spike Carlyle
Spike ran out and hit a running front kick then swarmed on him with strikes until Billy went to the ground. They traded top position and traded strikes throughout. Quarantillo went for a kneebar but Spike pushed through it. Spike got up and started to walk away, allowed Quarantillo to get a shot in and take him down to end the first round. Spike rocked him with a right hand before Quarantillo took him down then got his back. Spike then reversed and rained down strikes. Quarantillo went for various submission attempts to end the second round. Quarantillo turned things around in the third round as he was able to score a takedown and worked him over with strikes. The judges gave Quarantillo the decision win.
Brok Weaver vs Roosevelt Roberts
Both guys came out swinging with Roberts pressing him up against the fence and went for a standing guillotine choke to end the round but couldn’t get it. Roberts continued to push the pace and worked him on the fence until he scored a takedown where he rained down strikes and elbows from top position. Roberts attempted a d’arce then rear-naked choke for the win.
Mackenzie Dern vs Hannah Cifers
In the first round, Cifers scored a takedown, but Dern was able to lock in a kneebar for the win. A quick win.
Quick UFC on ESPN 9 Results
MAIN CARD (ESPN, 9 p.m. ET)
- Welterweight bout: Gilbert Burns def. Tyron Woodley by unanimous decision (50-45, 50-44, 50-44)
- Heavyweight bout: Augusto Sakai def. Blagoy Ivanov by split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Catchweight bout: Billy Quarantillo def. Spike Carlyle by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Roosevelt Roberts def. Brok Weaver by submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:26 of Round 2
- Women’s strawweight bout: Mackenzie Dern def. Hannah Cifers by submission (kneebar) at 2:36 of Round 1
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, 6:00 p.m. ET)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Katlyn Chookagian def. Antonina Shevchenko by unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-25
- Catchweight bout: Daniel Rodriguez def. Gabriel Green by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Light heavyweight bout: Jamahal Hill def. Klidson Abreu by TKO (strikes) at 1:51 of Round 1
- Flyweight bout: Brandon Royval def. Tim Elliott by submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:18 of Round 2
- Bantamweight bout: Casey Kenney def. Louis Smolka by submission (guillotine choke) at 3:03 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Chris Gutierrez def. Vince Morales by TKO (leg kick) at 4:27 of Round 2