UFC 252 went down tonight (Sat. August 15, 2020) from Las Vegas, Nevada at the UFC APEX and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
The co-headliner saw a bout between Sean O’Malley and Marlon Vera in a bantamweight fight. Junior Dos Santos vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik, John Dodson vs. Merab Dvalishvili, and Herbert Burns vs. Daniel Pineda finished out the main card.
Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier
Cormier scored a takedown just over a minute into the round, but Miocic got right back to his feet. Cormier clinched with him up against the fence and landed some knee strikes. They reset and Miocic started to land some straight rights. Cormier cracked him with an overhand right before poking him in the eye. Miocic started work with the body that allowed openings to the head and was making Cormier pay for it. They had a big exchange with Cormier catching him and wobbling the champ. In the second round, Miocic clipped him with a left hook that back peddled Cormier. Cormier started to pepper him with short jabs. At the end of the second round, Miocic connected with a missile of a right hand that dropped Cormier, who was saved by the bell. Both guys game out throwing leather in the third round. Miocic started to clinch in this round as well. They exchanged to the bell. Cormier had a severely damaged left eye thanks to a poke. Stipe clinched with him again in round four as Cormier was landing with some serious power. Cormier turned up the pressure in the final round before they exchanged some clinch work. The judges gave the win to Miocic by decision.
Sean O’Malley vs. Marlon Vera
Both guys were very hesitant with their attacks. O’Malley hurt his right ankle in the first round. Vera sensed this and started to press. O’Malley fell down and Vera rained down two big elbows then some strikes for the win.
Junior Dos Santos vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
They were using leg kicks very early on in the first round. JDS caught him with a big left hook while in an exchange, but Rozenstruik stayed steady. JDS threw a body kick, but Rozenstruik caught and unleashed a flurry. JDS caught him with a clean right hand, but nothing to throw Rozenstruik off balance. Rozenstruik threw a combo before cracking him with a right overhand with two minutes to go. Rozenstruik clipped and dropped him with right hook then finished him off with a series of strikes on the ground.
Herbert Burns vs. Daniel Pineda
Pineda went out and scored a takedown right away. Burns did manage to get back to his feet. In the second round, Pineda took him down again to start off the round. He worked him over with strikes in half guard then towards the end of the round, got him pinned down in a crucifix and rained down some nasty elbow strikes for the win.
John Dodson vs. Merab Dvalishvili
Dvalishvili worked for a takedown in the early going but ended up pressing him against the fence and landing knee strikes to the quads of Dodson. In the second round, Dvalishvili started to let his hands go and was really picking apart Dodson, who had no answer for the attack. With two minutes to go, Dvalishvili shot in for a takedown, but was stuffed. Dodson seemed to try to counter strike Dvalishvili, but wasn’t successful in his attempt. The third round opened with a yelling match, a rare moment in the UFC. Dvalishvili continued to push the pace and was constantly in the face of Dodson. Dvalishvili looked for the takedown still, but was never successful. Dvalishvili grabbed the decision win.
It’s certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC 252 results below:
Quick UFC 252 Results
Main Card (10 p.m. ET, ESPN+ PPV)
- Heavyweight title bout: Stipe Miocic def. Daniel Cormier by unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47) to retain the UFC Heavyweight Championship
- Bantamweight bout: Marlon Vera def. Sean O’Malley by TKO (strikes) at 4:40 of Round 1
- Heavyweight bout: Jairzinho Rozenstruik def. Junior Dos Santos by TKO (punches) at 3:47 of Round 2
- Featherweight bout: Daniel Pineda def. Herbert Burns by TKO (elbows) at 4:37 of Round 2
- Bantamweight bout: Merab Dvalishvili def. John Dodson by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Preliminary Card (7 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN+)
- Lightweight bout: Vinc Pichel def. Jim Miller by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Virna Jandiroba def. Felice Herrig by submission (armbar) at 1:44 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Danny Chavez def. TJ Brown by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Livinha Souza def. Ashley Yoder by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Heavyweight bout: Chris Daukaus def. Parker Porter by TKO (strikes) at 4:28 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Kai Kamaka def. Tony Kelley by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)