UFC on ESPN 15 went down tonight (Saturday, August 22, 2020) from Las Vegas, Nevada at the UFC APEX and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Pedro Munhoz and Frankie Edgar in a bantamweight bout.
The co-headliner was supposed to see a light heavyweight bout between Ovince Saint Preux and Alonzo Menifield, but that got nixed due to OSP testing positive for COVID-19. Marcin Prachnio vs. Mike Rodríguez, Mariya Agapova vs. Shana Dobson, Austin Hubbard vs. Joe Solecki in a lightweight fight, and finished out the main card is Daniel Rodriguez vs. Takashi Sato.
Pedro Munhoz vs. Frankie Edgar
This was a straight up boxing round in round one. In the second round, Edgar continued to fake going for a takedown to open up Munhoz with strikes. On the flip side, Munhoz was walking down Edgar and landing a flurry of strikes. Edgar was doing a nice job of continuing to move around from side to side. Edgar slipped and ate a knee strike to the jaw as a result. Munhoz was bleeding from his left temple. Edgar did score a brief takedown in the middle of the round. The third round was all Munoz as he started to bust up Edgar, who was showing the damage with his face. The fourth round saw Edgar open with a takedown. Edgar was landing with combos while Munoz kept going back to the jab, which was working. The fifth round saw them land some big power shots while throwing in the range of a phonebooth. In the end, it was Edgar that grabbed the decision win.
Marcin Prachnio vs. Mike Rodríguez
In the first round, they ended up in the clinch up against the fence. However, when they separated, Rodríguez brought the thunder when he landed an elbow strike that KO’d Marcin but Rodríguez continued with a follow up elbow and then some punches for good measure.
Austin Hubbard vs. Joe Solecki
Solecki was able to clinch up against the fence and get his back to where he managed to lock in the rear-naked choke while Hubbard was standing for the win.
Mariya Agapova vs. Shana Dobson
They traded some takedowns early in round one but Dodson was working for an armbar before taking the back. However, Agapova managed to shake her off. The second round saw Dobson land a head kick then scored a takedown and get her back to where she rained down some big shots for the win.
Daniel Rodriguez vs. Takashi Sato
What a round as these two went back and forth and dropped each other. Grant was rocked by two left hooks. Rodriguez poured it on and got the finish.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC on ESPN 15 results below:
Quick UFC on ESPN 15 Results
Main Card (8 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN+)
- Bantamweight bout: Frankie Edgar def. Pedro Munhoz by split decision (48-47, 46-49, 48-47)
- Light heavyweight bout: Mike Rodriguez def. Marcin Prachnio by knockout (strikes) at 2:17 of Round 1
- Lightweight bout: Joe Solecki def. Austin Hubbard by submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:51 of Round 1
- Women’s flyweight bout: Shana Dobson def. Mariya Agapova by TKO (punches) at 1:38 of Round 2
- Welterweight bout: Daniel Rodriguez def. Dwight Grant via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:44
Preliminary Card (6 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN+)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Amanda Lemos by unanimous decision (30-27 x 3)
- Light heavyweight bout: Jordan Wright def. Ike Villanueva by TKO (cut) at 1:31 of Round 1
- Welterweight bout: Matthew Semelsberger def. Carlton Minus by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Trevin Jones def. Timur Valiev by TKO (punches) at 1:59 of Round 2