UFC on ESPN+ 33 went down tonight (Sat. August 29, 2020) from Las Vegas, Nevada at the UFC APEX and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Anthony Smith and Aleksandar Rakic in a light heavyweight bout.
The co-headliner saw a bout between Robbie Lawler and Neil Magny. Alexa Grasso vs. Ji Yeon Kim, and Bill Algeo vs. Ricardo Lamas finished out the main card. Magomed Ankalaev vs. Ion Cutelaba was nixed just hours before the event due to Ion testing positive for COVID-19.
Anthony Smith vs. Aleksandar Rakic
They started to throw heavy leg kicks right out of the gate. Rakic dropped him with a leg kick and he hammered away with body shots on the ground. Smith got on his back, but Rakic shaked him off. Rakic ended the round on top raining down strikes. Round 2 saw Smith stun Rakic with a straight right hand, but they clinched, and Rakic tossed him down to get into full guard. Rakic controlled the rest of the round by just keeping him pinned and raining down strikes. The third round saw Smith come out firing, but Rakic took over with a takedown and remained there for the rest of the round. Rakic scored the decision win.
Robbie Lawler vs. Neil Magny
Lawler came out in round 1 and went for a takedown, but Magny stuffed it. Magny went for a D’Arce choke, but let it go and rained down strikes from top position. Moments later, Magny managed to get his back, but Lawler reversed and got on top in half guard. Magny scrambled to his feet and went for a takedown and got it. Round two came and saw Magny score a takedown and get his back. Magny landed punches while Lawler got elbow strikes in. The final round saw Magny score some takedowns, but couldn’t keep him down. Lawler did look aggressive and land some shots, but did eat some jabs. Magny nabbed the decision win.
Alexa Grasso vs. Ji Yeon Kim
The first round was a slow pace fight with each fighter taking a technical approach and picking each shot. Kim started to find her range and pick Grasso apart while Grasso was trying to counter strike. Grasso landed a big strike that caused blood to rush out of the nose of her opponent. They continued to exchange to the bell although Grasso did score a late-round takedown. The winner was Grasspo by decision.
Bill Algeo vs. Ricardo Lamas
Lamas took the first round with his constant quick counter strikes. Algeo was tagged him with a straight right hand, but Lamas stayed steady and even caught him with a takedown in the early goings of the first round. Lamas had him pinned up against the fence and Algeo caught with a series of elbow strikes that split open Lamas, who was bleeding pretty good. Algeo stunned him with a front kick to the face then scored a takedown, but Lamas reversed it and they got back to the feet. Lamas continued to work for the takedown in the third round and got it in the middle of the round where he got full guard and landed a series of strikes. They traded positions on the ground. Lamas got his back and worked him over with strikes. In the end, the judges gave the win to Lamas by unamious decision.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC on ESPN+ 33 results below:
Quick UFC on ESPN+ 33 Results
Main Card (9 p.m. ET, ESPN+)
- Light heavyweight bout: Aleksandar Rakic def. Anthony Smith by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Welterweight bout: Neil Magny def. Robbie Lawler by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Alexa Grasso def. Ji Yeon Kim by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Ricardo Lamas def. Bill Algeo by unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
Preliminary Card (6 p.m. ET, ESPN+)
- Welterweight bout: Impa Kasanganay def. Maki Pitolo by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Middleweight bout: Zak Cummings def. Alessio Di Chirico by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Alex Caceres def. Austin Springer by submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:38 of Round 1
- Welterweight bout: Sean Brady def. Christian Aguilera by submission (guillotine choke) at 1:47 of Round 2
- Women’s flyweight bout: Polyana Viana def. Emily Whitmire by submission (armbar) at 1:53 of Round 1
- Women’s strawweight bout: Mallory Martin def. Hannah Cifers by submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:33 of Round 2