UFC on ESPN+ 35 went down tonight (Sat. September 12, 2020) from Las Vegas, Nevada at the UFC APEX and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Michelle Waterson and Angela Hill in a women’s strawweight bout.
The co-headliner saw a bout between Ottman Azaitar and Khama Worthy. Roxanne Modafferi vs. Andrea Lee, Ed Herman vs. Mike Rodríguez and Billy Quarantillo vs. Kyle Nelson finishes out the main card.
Michelle Waterson vs. Angela Hill
Hill came out firing and was landing hard shots early. Waterson looked for a takedown in round one, but Hill ended up clinching with her. Hill was doing a nice job of counter striking while pressing forward. Hill caught her with a major league hook that rocked Waterson and followed it up with another big hook. Waterson was staying in the pocket despite it. Waterson was mixing up her strikes well including kicks to set up takedown attempts, but couldn’t get her down for the majority of the time. Hill would clinch with her at these times and land elbow strikes and knees. In the third round, Waterson suffered a busted nose that was bleeding pretty good. However, Waterson finally got a takedown and managed to move to half guard. Waterson did some good damage in this spot. Waterson continued to go for takedowns in the fourth round and found some success, but Hill had a pretty good takedown defense. The fifth round was close and came down to a decision by the judges, who had Waterson winning.
Ottman Azaitar vs. Khama Worthy
Azaitar clinched up with Worthy then pounced him with strikes until Worthy dropped and Azaitar blitzed him with more strikes for the finish in the first-round.
Roxanne Modafferi vs. Andrea Lee
The first round was close although Modafferi had the advantage thanks to her takedown and control on the ground while dishing out punishment with strikes. In round two, Lee tried to get the advantage with her striking and did so, but Modafferi scored another takedown to end the round where she positioned herself in full guard. Yet another situation where Lee did some damage on the feet, but was taken down late in the round. Modafferi got the decision win.
Ed Herman vs. Mike Rodríguez
They had a feeling out process in the first round. The middle of the round saw them clinch up and trade some knee strikes. Rodríguez rocked him with an elbow strike, but Herman recovered despite eating a follow-up knee strike to the body. Herman was looking to take the fight to the ground, but it kept ending in the clinch. Herman did score a brief takedown in the second round, but they went right back to the clinch. Rodríguez caught him with a knee strike to the ribs, but Herman sold it like a low blow and there was a pause in the action. Herman was definitely hurt. They continued to clinch the game. Then, out of nowhere, Herman managed to lock in the kimura for the win.
Bobby Green vs. Alan Patrick
Patrick worked for the takedown early and got one, but briefly. Green fired back with one of his own and got in the way of a slam. Coming out in the second round, Green took him down and worked him over with strikes. Green dominated the second round in this spot until the final minute where Patrick got up and they traded. Patrick was over extending with his shots while Green walked him down. The same continued in the third round although there was more striking on display. A one-sided fight. Green grabbed the win.
Billy Quarantillo vs. Kyle Nelson
This was a highly paced fight, but they had a mixture of strikes and clinches. Billy was connecting with elbow strikes quite well in the clinch. Nelson got pretty tired towards the end of the second round. Billy got a late round takedown. Billy scored a walk-off KO after landing a 1-2 punch that finished him with a right hand.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC on ESPN+ 35 results below:
Quick UFC on ESPN+ 35 Results
Main Card (8 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Michelle Waterson def. Angela Hill by split decision (47-48, 49-46, 48-47)
- Lightweight bout: Ottman Azaitar def. Khama Worthy by TKO (punches) at 1:33 of Round 1
- Women’s flyweight bout: Roxanne Modafferi def. Andrea Lee by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28
- Light heavyweight bout: Ed Herman def. Mike Rodriguez by submission (kimura) at 4:01 of Round 3
- Lightweight bout: Bobby Green def. Alan Patrick by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Billy Quarantillo def. Kyle Nelson by knockout (punches) at :07 of Round 3
Preliminary Card (5 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Sijara Eubanks def. Julia Avila by unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
- Lightweight bout: Kevin Croom def. Roosevelt Roberts by submission (guillotine choke) at :31 of Round 1
- Heavyweight bout: Alexandr Romanov def. Roque Martinez by submission (arm-triangle choke) at 4:22 of Round 2
- Lightweight bout: Jalin Turner def. Brok Weaver by submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:20 of Round 2
- Welterweight bout: Bryan Barberena def. Anthony Ivy by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Sabina Mazo def. Justine Kish by submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:57 of Round 3