UFC on ESPN 16 went down tonight (Sat. October 3, 2020) from the Flash Forum on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi aka Fight Island and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Holly Holm and Irene Aldana in a women’s bantamweight bout.
The co-headliner saw a heavyweight bout between Yorgan de Castro and Carlos Felipe. Germaine de Randamie vs. Julianna Pena, Tom Breese vs. Roman Kopylov, and Dequan Townsend vs. Dusko Todorovic finished out the main card.
Holly Holm vs. Irene Aldana
The first round was a feeling-out process as Holm was trying to find her range. Holm was circling until she scored a brief takedown with seconds left in the round, but Aldana managed to get back to her feet until Holm got another takedown. Holm opened the second round with a big right cross. Holm rocked her with a big right hand in the middle of the frame. Holm was doing a nice job of fakes as Aldana didn’t know whether combos were just to land or setting up a takedown. Holm did get a takedown, but Aldana managed to get back to her feet. Holm scored another takedown in the third round and even got to mount. Holm rained down big shots until Aldana got back to her feet. As the fight progressed, Aldana tried to press and did land some decent strikes, but mostly was just a bunch of circling from Holm. In the end, Holm grabbed the decision win.
Yorgan de Castro vs. Carlos Felipe
They had a feeling out process, but towards the end of the round, things got busier and Felipe had the speed advantage. The second round saw Castro come out firing and was laying in some heavy strikes. They had an intense exchange up against the fence with Castro continuously getting earned about holding the fence. Castro was doing a good job of working over the body. Right out of the gate in round three, Felipe was firing away before they clinched. They exchanged to the finish of the fight with Felipe getting the decision win.
Germaine de Randamie vs. Julianna Pena
Randamie dropped her with a right hand in the early stages of the first round, but Pena got back to her feet. Randamie caught her later in the same round with the same punch. Pena was trying to reach and throw over hand strikes. While Pena was walking her down, she kept eating jabs and straights. Pena came right out and back her up against the fence. They both landed some big right hands before Pena went to her clinch gameplan. Pena scored a takedown and got into full guard. Pena was mixing up her strikes well from this spot while Randamie was doing her best to avoid them. Pena went for a choke, but let it go, and in the process, Randamie scrambled to top position. The third round saw them keep it on the feet with Randamie rocking her a few times. Pena clinched with her up against the fence and landed some good knee strikes. Randamie got a guillotine choke and that was a wrap.
Kyler Phillips vs. Cameron Else
Phillips wanted to make a statement and did just that. The second round saw him come out quick to hit a head kick then clinched up with him on the fence and got a takedown. Phillips got his back and rained down punches and elbow strikes before the referee called off the fight.
Dequan Townsend vs. Dusko Todorovic
Round one saw these guys trade some big shots. With a minute to go, Todorovic unloaded with combos up against the fence, but Townsend just stood there and ate them. Round two saw Townsend come out more aggressive and was letting his hands go. Todorovic worked for a takedown and got it. Todorovic worked towards full mount and rained down strikes to get the TKO win.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC on ESPN 16 results below:
Quick UFC on ESPN 16 Results
Main Card (10:30 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Holly Holm def. Irene Aldana by unanimous decision (50-44, 50-45, 50-45)
- Heavyweight bout: Carlos Felipe def. Yorgan De Castro by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Germaine de Randamie def. Julianna Pena by submission (guillotine choke) at 3:25 of Round 3
- Bantamweight bout: Kyler Phillips def. Cameron Else by TKO (elbows) at :44 of Round 2
- Middleweight bout: Dusko Todorovic def. Dequan Townsend by TKO (punches) at 3:15 of Round 2
Preliminary Card (7:30 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Featherweight bout: Carlos Condit def. Court McGee by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Middleweight bout: Charles Jourdain vs. Joshua Culibao ends in a split draw (30-27, 28-29, 28-28)
- Middleweight bout: Nassourdine Imavov def. Jordan Williams by unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-28)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Loma Lookboonmee def. Jinh Yu Frey by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Casey Kenney def. Alatengheili by unanimous decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-27)
- Lightweight bout: Luigi Vendramini def. Jessin Ayari by TKO (head kick & punches) at 1:12 of Round 1