UFC on ESPN+ 37 goes down tonight (Saturday, October 10, 2020) from the Flash Forum on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi aka Fight Island and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Marlon Moraes and Cory Sandhagen in a bantamweight bout.
The co-headliner saw a bout between Edson Barboza and Makwan Amirkhani. Ben Rothwell vs. Marcin Tybura, Dricus Du Plessis vs. Markus Perez, Tom Aspinall vs. Alan Baudot, and Ilia Topuria vs. Youssef Zalal finished out the main card.
Marlon Moraes vs. Cory Sandhagen
They had a feeling out process before letting their hands go. Sandhagen had some nice combos by mixing up his strikes to the body and head. Moraes did get a late round takedown. Sandhagen shouted in the second round that he broke Moraes’ orbital bone before landing a spinning heel kick that dropped Moraes before landing some ground and pound for the win.
Edson Barboza vs. Makwan Amirkhani
The first round was mostly striking although Amirkhani did catch a kick and scored a takedown. In the second round, Barboza caught him with a right hand and Amirkhani dropped to the ground. Barboza went for a choke before letting it go and stayed on top. Amirkhani managed to get back to his feet and shot in for a takedown, but Barboza stuffed it. Barboza dropped him a second time with the same strike and tried a submission attempt, but Amirkhani got up and worked for a takedown of his own. Amirkhani got a takedown in the third round. They traded to the finish with the judges giving Barboza the decision win.
Ben Rothwell vs. Marcin Tybura
Ben came out firing in bunches but then Tybura started to let his hands go. While Ben had the clear volume advantage, Tybura managed to pick his shots and get in some sneaky shots. The pace didn’t slow down in round two as Rothwell continued to push forward. Round three saw Tybura score a mid-round takedown and got in full guard in top position. Rothwell got bloody as a result of the damage that he suffered. The judges gave the win to Tybura.
Dricus Du Plessis vs. Markus Perez
They traded hard leg kicks in the early going. Plessis caught him in an exchange with a left hook and Perez dropped. Plessis swarmed him on the ground to finish it off in the first round.
Tom Aspinall vs. Alan Baudot
Aspinall came out in round one, scored a takedown and then rained down big strikes in top position to score the TKO win.
Ilia Topuria vs. Youssef Zalal
They had a feeling out process. Topuria got a suplex takedown in round one and got into full mount on top. He took Zalal’s back then went for a choke. Zalal did some nice hand work. Zalal walked his feet along the fence to avoid the submission, but Ilia went for a arm-head choke and squeezed hard. Through the second and third rounds, Topuria continued his takedowns and top position. Zalal tried to rally in the final frame with big shots, but Topuria was quick to tie him up against the fence. In the end, the judges gave the win to Topuria.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC on ESPN+37 results below:
Quick UFC on ESPN+ 37 Results
Main Card (8 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Bantamweight bout: Cory Sandhagen def. Marlon Moraes by TKO (strikes) at 1:03 of Round 2
- Featherweight bout: Edson Barboza def. Makwan Amirkhani by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 29-28)
- Heavyweight bout: Marcin Tybura def. Ben Rothwell by unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
- Middleweight bout: Dricus Du Plessis def. Markus Perez by knockout (punches) at 3:22 of Round 1
- Heavyweight bout: Tom Aspinall def. Alan Baudot by TKO (punches) at 1:35 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Ilia Topuria def. Youssef Zalal by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Preliminary Card (5 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Middleweight bout: Tom Breese def. KB Bhullar by TKO (punches) at 1:42 of Round 1
- Heavyweight bout: Chris Daukaus def. Rodrigo Nascimento by knockout (punches) at :45 of Round 1
- Middleweight bout: Joaquin Buckley def. Impa Kasanganay by knockout (spin kick) at 2:03 of Round 2
- Bantamweight bout: Tony Kelley def. Ali AlQaisi by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Giga Chikadze def. Omar Morales by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Bantamweight bout: Tracy Cortez def. Stephanie Egger by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Flyweight bout: Tagir Ulanbekov def. Bruno Silva by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)