UFC on ESPN+ 38 went down tonight (Saturday, October 17, 2020) from the Flash Forum on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi aka Fight Island and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Brian Ortega and Chan Sung Jung in a featherweight bout.
The co-headliner saw a bout between Jessica Andrade and Katlyn Chookagian. Modestas Bukauskas vs. Jimmy Crute and Thomas Almeida vs. Jonathan Martinez finishes out the main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check down below for MMA News’ UFC on ESPN+ 38 results:
Brian Ortega vs. Chan Sung Jung
It was a slow start to this one until Ortega dropped him with a left hand after catching a kick, but Jung got right back to his feet. The second round showed case more striking as Ortega has improved that aspect of his game. Ortega dropped him with a spinning elbow strike. Jung survived the shots on the ground and answered on the feet until Ortega got a takedown with 30 seconds to go. It was mostly striking in the third frame even though Ortega did try to fake him out with takedowns. Ortega went back to the spinning back elbow but ate a hook for good measure. In round 4, Ortega caught him with a right hand and cut open the eyelid of Jung then took him down. Jung went for a takedown attempt in this round but got shut down. They finished out the fifth round with striking. Ortega got the decision win.
Jessica Andrade vs. Katlyn Chookagian
Andrade managed to score a takedown in the first round before Chookagian got back to her feet. They continued to trade. Chookagian was using the clinch well, but was taking damage thanks to body shots. Towards the end of the round, Andrade got another takedown, but once again Chookagian got to her feet. Andrade landed a right hook to the body then moments later Andrade charged at her and dropped her with a right hook and that was it.
Modestas Bukauskas vs. Jimmy Crute
This one didn’t last long as Crute landed back-to-back right hands with one of those briefly dropping him before putting him out with a left hook for the first-round win.
James Krause vs. Claudio Silva
Silva came out aggressive and even scored a takedown after avoiding a right hand. Krause got back to his feet, but Silva shot in again for a takedown and stuffed. Krause stayed calm. As the fight played on, Silva continued to shoot for takedowns, but Krause stuffed the majority of them. It was a close fight with both guys having their moments. Silva had some big shots while Krause was more accurate. The judges gave the win to Krause.
Thomas Almeida vs. Jonathan Martinez
They had a feeling out process in the first round. As the round went on, Martinez started to push the pace and wouldn’t get out of Thomas’ face. Martinez started to smash up the face of Thomas with various jabs. In the second round, Almeida briefly dropped him with a left hook. Almeida changed things up by trying to charge in with his strikes. Martinez had the reach advantage. They continued to trade through the third round and Martinez walked away with the decision win.
Quick UFC on ESPN+ 38 Results
MAIN CARD (ESPN+, 7 p.m. ET)
- Featherweight bout: Brian Ortega def. Chan Sung Jung by unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Jessica Andrade def. Katlyn Chookagian by TKO (punches) at 4:55 of Round 1
- Light heavyweight bout: Jimmy Crute def. Modestas Bukauskas by knockout (punches) at 2:01 of Round
- Welterweight bout: James Krause def. Claudio Silva by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Jonathan Martinez def. Thomas Almeida by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 4 p.m. ET)
- Lightweight bout: Guram Kutateladze def. Mateusz Gamrot by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Gillian Robertson def. Poliana Botelho by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-27)
- Middleweight bout: Jun Yong Park def. John Phillips by unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-25)
- Lightweight bout: Fares Ziam def. Jamie Mullarkey by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Light heavyweight bout: Maxim Grishin def. Gadzhimurad Antigulov by TKO (punches) at 4:58 of Round 2
- Bantamweight bout: Said Nurmagomedov def. Mark Streigl by knockout (punches) at :51 of Round 1