UFC Vegas 17 went down tonight (Saturday, December 19, 2020) from the UFC APEX facility in Las Vegas, Nevada and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Stephen Thompson and Geoff Neal in a welterweight bout.
The co-headliner saw a bout between Jose Aldo vs. Marlon Vera. Michel Pereira vs. Khaos Williams, Marlon Moraes vs. Rob Font, and Greg Hardy vs. Marcin Tybura finished out the main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC Vegas 17 results below:
Stephen Thompson vs. Geoff Neal
Neal was pressuring him and backing him up against the fence. Thompson was sticking and moving. Thompson was doing a nice job of avoiding strikes in the early going. There was a headbutt and both guys were cut around the eyebrow. Midway through the fight, Neal started to throw more kicks as a way to mix up strikes. Thompson slowed down a bit, but was still throwing the same amount in volume. Neal clinched with him up against the fence in the third round then ate a head kick and a flurry of strikes by Thompson. Neal tried to turn things up in the fourth round, but Thompson’s movement was just a challenge for him. Thompson’s right foot was severely swollen by the time that the fifth round rolled around. They clinched and continued to strike it out to the bell. Thompson got the decision win.
Jose Aldo vs. Marlon Vera
Vera chipped away at the legs of Aldo with kicks before clinching with him up against the fence. The second round saw Vera increase the pace and push forward. Vera was doing a lot of kicks while Aldo started to load up on his shots while mixing up his strikes nicely. Vera worked hard to get takedowns, but just couldn’t even when he tried to trip him. The third round saw Vera get on the back of Aldo, but when they went to the ground, Aldo switched and got in that spot. He worked for a rear-naked choke, but couldn’t get it. Aldo got the decision win.
Michel Pereira vs. Khaos Williams
There were a lot of wild exchanginges in the first round. Pereira was working the body of Khaos. Late in the second round, Khaos ran him down up against the fence with some big shots. Pereira clinched with him up against the fence and landed some nice knees to the body. Pereira locked in a standing rear-naked choke and they fell to the ground as the second round ended. Pereira was trying to use his athleticism to land strikes while Khaos was taking advantage of this. Pereira managed to score a takedown, but Khaos got back to his feet, but was taken down again. The judges gave the win to Pereira.
Marlon Moraes vs. Rob Font
Moraes scored two takedowns in the first round. After the second takedown, Font got back to his feet and unloaded on Moraes. He dropped the top fighter then smashed him on the ground with strikes.
Greg Hardy vs. Marcin Tybura
There was a feeling out process. Hardy couldn’t find his range early as he was leaping in with his shots. Hardy rocked him with a combo to the body then to the head. Hardy’s left hook to the body was landing. Tybura went for a takedown, but Hardy stuffed and just unloaded on him with strikes against the fence. Tybura had issues with timing his strikes. As the second round went on, Tybura started to pressure him and walked him down while throwing shots. Tybura got a takedown with two minutes left in the second round and then rained down strikes to finish Hardy.
Quick UFC Vegas 17 Results
Main Card On (ESPN+, 7 p.m. ET)
- Welterweight bout: Stephen Thompson def. Geoff Neal by unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)
- Bantamweight bout: Jose Aldo def. Marlon Vera by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Welterweight bout: Michel Pereira def. Khaos Williams by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Rob Font def. Marlon Moraes by TKO (punches) at 3:47 of Round 1
- Heavyweight bout: Marcin Tybura def. Greg Hardy by TKO (punches) at 4:31 of Round 2
Prelims Card (ESPN+, 4 p.m. ET)
- Welterweight bout: Anthony Pettis def. Alex Morono by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Pannie Kianzad def. Sijara Eubanks by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Middleweight bout: Deron Winn def. Antonio Arroyo by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Women’sflyweight bout: Taila Santos def. Gillian Robertson by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-28)
- Middleweight bout: Tafon Nchukwi def. Jamie Pickett by unanimous decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-26)
- Flyweight bout: Jimmy Flick def. Cody Durden by submission (flying triangle choke) at 3:18 of Round 1
- Catchweight bout:Christos Giagos def. Carlton Minus by unanimous decision (30-26, 29-27, 29-28)