UFC Vegas 18 went down tonight (Sat. February 6, 2021) from Las Vegas, Nevada at the UFC Apex facility and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Alistair Overeem and Alexander Volkov in a heavyweight bout.
The co-headliner saw a bout between Cory Sandhagen vs. Frankie Edgar. Michael Johnson vs. Clay Guida, Alexandre Pantoja vs. Manel Kape, and Diego Ferreira vs. Beneil Dariush finished out the main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC Vegas 18 results below:
Alistair Overeem vs. Alexander Volkov
Volkov was in his face quickly and Overeem shelled up in defense while having punches thrown at him. Volkov dropped him with a left hand and swarmed him on the ground with strikes, but Overeem got back to his feet. Volkov landed a big knee strike to the gut. Volkov blasted him with strikes up against the fence, which caused Overeem to bleed. Volkov was busting him up with his jabs. Volkov stunned him in the second round and this caused Overeem to bleed even more. Overeem went for a takedown, but was stuffed. Volkov dropped him with a nasty strike and that was a wrap.
Cory Sandhagen vs. Frankie Edgar
Sandhagen connected with a flying knee to knock out Edgar cold. What. A. Statement.
Michael Johnson vs. Clay Guida
They traded shots right out of the gate before Guida got a takedown halfway through the first round and had him pinned against the fence in half guard. Johnson made his way back to his feet only for them to clinch. Guida took him down to start off the second round. Johnson got up and started to stuff some takedowns. He was holding his own in the striking department. Guida was landing some solid uppercuts while changing levels. Johnson was slinging jabs and stunned him before getting taken down by Guida. Guida got his back and worked for the rear-naked choke. The judges gave the win to Guida by decision.
Alexandre Pantoja vs. Manel Kape
There was a feeling out process before they started to throw. Pantoja did score a takedown within the last minute of the round, but couldn’t do much damage. Kape scrambled to his feet and worked for a takedown, but ran out of time. Pantoja was throwing heavy kicks to the body while they exchanged lightning fast punches. A very close back and forth striking affair in the third round. Kape did score some takedowns late in the round. It came down to a pick em for the judges, who gave the win to Pantoja.
Diego Ferreira vs. Beneil Dariush
They came out swinging right away. Dariush worked for a takedown and got it within a minute. Ferreira scrambled out. Dariush took the first and second round with a solid game plan of neutralizing him with takedowns. Dariush got kicked in the nuts in the third round so there was a pause in the action. Aside from that, Ferreira tried his best to crack Dariush, but he didn’t have anything to match him on the ground. Dariush walked away with the decision win.
Quick UFC Vegas 18 Results
Main Card (8 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Heavyweight bout: Alexander Volkov def. Alistair Overeem by TKO (punches) at 2:06 of Round 2
- Bantamweight bout: Cory Sandhagen def. Frankie Edgar by knockout (flying knee) at :28 of Round 1
- Lightweight bout: Clay Guida def. Michael Johnson by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Flyweight bout: Alexandre Pantoja def. Manel Kape by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Light heavyweight bout: Danilo Marques def. Mike Rodriguez by submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:52 of Round 2
- Beneil Dariush def. Diego Ferreira by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
Preliminary Card (5 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Catchweight bout: Devonte Smith def. Justin Jaynes by TKO (doctor stoppage) at 3:38 of Round 2
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Karol Rosa def. Joselyne Edwards by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Lara Procopio def. Molly McCann by unanimous decision (29-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Seungwoo Choi def. Youssef Zalal by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Timur Valiev def. Martin Day by unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-26)
- Featherweight bout: Ode Osbourne def. Jerome Rivera by knockout (punches) at :26 of Round 1