UFC 261 pay-per-view event went down tonight (Sat. April 24, 2021) from Jacksonville, Florida at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
Their first fight took place at the UFC 251 pay-per-view that saw Usman retain the strap over Masvidal by unanimous decision.
The co-headliner saw a women’s strawweight title bout between Zhang Weili and Rose Namajunas. Valentina Shevchenko vs. Jessica Andrade in a women’s flyweight title bout, Chris Weidman vs. Uriah Hall, and Anthony Smith vs. Jimmy Crute finished out the main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC 261 results below:
Welterweight title bout: Kamaru Usman vs. Jorge Masvidal
Masvidal worked the lead leg early with kicks. Usman tagged him with a right hand. Masvidal did a flying knee and Usman took him down and got into full guard. Masvidal was throwing some hard back elbows. Masvidal got back to his feet, but Usman stayed on him until Masvidal got up completely. Usman tagged Masvidal with a big right hand. The second round saw Usman crack him with a right hand and Masvidal went down then swarmed him on the ground with strikes. Wow.
Women’s strawweight title bout: Zhang Weili vs. Rose Namajunas
Rose was doing a lot of moving. Rose caught her and dropped her with a head kick. Rose swarmed her with strikes on the ground and that’s a wrap.
Women’s flyweight title bout: Valentina Shevchenko vs. Jessica Andrade
Shevchenko scored a takedown about a minute into the fight, but Andrade kept getting back to her feet. Andrade landed some back elbow strikes to the head. Shevchenko tagged her with a few shots then Andrade clinched with her. Shevchenko got a trip takedown up against the fence. The second round saw Shevchenko open with a trip takedown. Andrade got back to her feet and clinched with her up against the fence. Shevchenko got another takedown then put her in the crucifix and landed some strong strikes for the win.
Chris Weidman vs. Uriah Hall
Weidman snapped his leg by throwing the first leg kick of the fight. . The fight is over. A devastating moment for Weidman. The irony it happened to Anderson Silva when throwing a kick to Weidman.
Anthony Smith vs. Jimmy Crute
Smith tagged him with a jab. Crute was working over the leg kicks while Smith was landing when Crute walked into his range. Smith cracked him with a right hand while Crute tagged him with a left hand. Crute hurt his knee and fell after getting kicked in the leg. Crute took him down and swarmed him with strikes. Smith got back to his feet only to be taken down again. Crute couldn’t even walk right, his left foot was shot. The referee stopped the fight.
Quick UFC 261 Results
Main Card (PPV/10 p.m. ET)
- Welterweight title bout: Kamaru Usman def. Jorge Masvidal by knockout (punches) at 1:02 of Round 2 to retain the title
- Women’s strawweight title bout: Rose Namajunas def. Zhang Weili by knockout (head kick) at 1:18 of Round 1 to win the title
- Women’s flyweight title bout: Valentina Shevchenko def. Jessica Andrade by TKO (elbows) at 3:19 of Round 2 to retain
- Middleweight bout: Uriah Hall def. Chris Weidman by TKO (injury) at :17 of Round 1
- Light heavyweight bout: Anthony Smith def. Jimmy Crute by TKO (doctor stoppage) at 5:00 of Round 1
Prelims Card (ESPN/8 p.m. ET)
- Welterweight bout: Randy Brown def. Alex Oliveira by submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:50 of Round 1
- Welterweight bout: Dwight Grant def. Stefan Sekulic by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Middleweight bout: Brendan Allen def. Karl Roberson by submission (heel hook) at 4:55 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Pat Sabatini def. Tristan Connelly by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
Prelims Card (ESPN+/6 p.m. ET)
- Bantamweight bout: Danaa Batgerel def. Kevin Natividad by TKO (punches) at :50 of Round 1
- Lightweight bout: Kazula Vargas def. Rongzhu by unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 29-28)
- Flyweight bout: Jeffrey Molina def. Aoriqileng by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-27)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Ariane Carnelossi def. Na Liang by TKO (punches) at 1:28 of Round 2