UFC Vegas 24 went down tonight (Sat. April 17, 2021) from Las Vegas, Nevada at the UFC Apex facility and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Robert Whittaker vs. Kelvin Gastelum in a middleweight bout.
The co-headliner was supposed to see a lightweight bout between Drakkar Klose vs. Jeremy Stephens, but the fight was pulled due to an injury to Klose. Andrei Arlovski vs. Chase Sherman, Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Jacob Malkoun, and Alexander Munoz vs. Luis Pena finished out the main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check back later tonight for MMA News’ UFC Vegas 24 results below:
Robert Whittaker vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Gastelum was pushing the pace and throwing leg kicks. Whittaker tagged him with a sweeping right hand. Whittaker popped him with a combo that resulted in a head kick. Whittaker scored a trip takedown in the middle of the first round. Gastelum did manage to get back to his feet. Whittaker scored a brief takedown in the second round. Gastelum had some damage on the right side of his face while Whittaker was bleeding from his right temple. Whittaker slowed down a bit in the third round as he was mixing up his strikes more. Gastelum was loading up on his strikes and getting caught. Kelvin did go for a takedown in the fourth, but Whittaker walked out of it. Kelvin tried hard in the fifth and was throwing heat, but it wasn’t enough.
Andrei Arlovski vs. Chase Sherman
They traded early in the first round. Chase was catching him with a left hook as he leaned in. Andrei caught him with a head kick, but Chase swarmed him with under a minute to go up against the fence. Arlovski clinched with him to stop the flurry. The second round continued to push forward and actually had speed when he let his hands go. Arlovski did a lot of damage to the lead leg of Sherman. Arlovski got the decision win.
Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Jacob Malkoun
Malkoun worked for the takedown early and got it, but Abdul kept moving to stay upright. Malkoun had him pinned up against the fence and raining down shots. Malkoun took him down in the second round and went for a guillotine choke on the ground after getting a takedown, but couldn’t get it. Abdul got back to his feet and they went back to striking. Abudl tried his best to do what he could on the feet, but Malkoun smothered him. Malkoun had around 8 total takedowns and walked away with the decision win.
Alexander Munoz vs. Luis Pena
The first round was all striking as Munoz tried to get inside and work for the takedown, but couldn’t time it right. Munoz was landing some nice leg kicks. Munoz did tag him as the first round ended. Pena started to throw some wild shots that landed and some that didn’t. Munoz wobbled him with a left hand then went in for a takedown and got it. Pena got back to his feet moments later. The more of the same in the third round. A solid fight that saw Pena get the split decision win.
Quick UFC Vegas 24 Results
Main Card (ESPN/10 p.m. ET)
- Middleweight bout: Robert Whittaker def. Kelvin Gastelum by unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)
- Heavyweight bout: Andrei Arlovski def. Chase Sherman by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Middleweight bout: Jacob Malkoun def. Abdul Razak Alhassan by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Tracy Cortez def. Justine Kish by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Lightweight bout: Luis Pena def. Alex Munoz by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
Prelims Card (ESPN/7 p.m. ET)
- Heavyweight bout: Alexandr Romanov def. Juan Espino by technical split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Jessica Penne def. Lupita Godinez by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Middleweight bout: Gerald Meerschaert def. Bartosz Fabinski by submission (guillotine choke) at 2:00 of Round 1
- Lightweight bout: Austin Hubbard def. Dakota Bush by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Tony Gravely def. Anthony Birchak by TKO (punches) at 1:31 of Round 2