UFC 262 went down tonight (Sat. May 15, 2021) from Houston, Texas at the Toyota Center and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Charles Oliveira and Michael Chandler in a vacant lightweight title bout.
The co-headliner saw a lightweight bout between Tony Ferguson and Beneil Dariush. Matt Schnell vs. Rogerio Bontorin, Katlyn Chookagian vs. Viviane Araujo, and Shane Burgos vs. Edson Barboza finished out the main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC 262 results below:
Charles Oliveira vs. Michael Chandler
Chandler was dropped with an opening calf kick right out of the gate, but popped back up. Chandler clipped him with a left hook then Charles took him down and Chandler got him in a guillotine choke and let it go. Charles got his back and Chandler slammed back on him. Charles was bleeding from his right temple. Chandler exploded up and got back to his feet. Chandler tagged him then dropped him and swarmed him on the ground with strikes, but Charles recovered and Chandler got on top. The start of the second round saw Charles drop him with a left hook then Chandler got back to his feet only for Charles to drop him with another left hook then swarmed him with strikes on the ground. Oliveira is the new lightweight champion.
Tony Ferguson vs. Beneil Dariush
Dariush was landing early and head hunting. Dariush scored a takedown with about a minute into the fight. Tony landed some elbows and was using his left leg to prevent him from passing. Dariush clinched with him right out of the second gate, but Ferguson went for a d’arce choke in full guard, but there wasn’t a finish. Dariush stayed on him and worked him over with strikes. Ferguson did get up, but took back down and got on top only for Dariush to go for a heel hook, but let go of it. Ferguson was clearly hurt by that heel hook and couldn’t move well. Dariush continued his ground attack and got the decision win.
Matt Schnell vs. Rogerio Bontorin
They had a feeling out process. Bontorin cracked him with a nice combo in round 1. Bontorin was also landing some nice leg kicks, but Matt was still very much in the fight. Matt turned up the pace in the second round. Bontorin tagged him with a combo with about a minute to go in the round, but Matt got away and recovered. The crowd was booing this fight as Matt did a lot of back peddling and avoiding a scrap. Bontorin swarmed him with about two minutes to go and tagged him to the point where Matt’s mouthpiece fell out. Bontorin took him down and got in full guard. Bontorin got his back and rained down some shots. Bontorin got the decision win.
Katlyn Chookagian vs. Viviane Araujo
They exchanged throughout the majority of the first round. Viviane clinched with her up against the fence then they traded with knee strikes. In the second round, Viviane caught a kick and took her down. Viviane got on top and worked her over with strikes while trying to go for a guillotine choke, but she gave it up in favor of getting full mount. Chookagian did manage to get back to her feet. Viviane was heavily breathing to start the third round. Viviane’s right eye was swollen up pretty good due to the damage dished out by Chookagian. Chookagian got the decision win.
Shane Burgos vs. Edson Barboza
Barboza was going after him with some leg kicks right out of the gate. Barboza started tagging him with big right hands as the first round went on. Barboza wobbled him with a right hand. Burgos did get a left hook in to end the round. Barboza continued to dish out those nash leg kicks and was bleeding from his own leg as a result. In the third round, Barboza scored a delayed knockout win as Burgos was cracked and tried to absorb it, but then his body shut down and fell down. A scary yet odd knockout.
Quick UFC 262 Results
Main Card (PPV/10 p.m. ET)
- Vacant lightweight title bout: Charles Oliveira def. Michael Chandler by TKO (punches) at :19 of Round 2
- Lightweight bout: Beneil Dariush def. Tony Ferguson by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Bantamweight bout: Rogerio Bontorin def. Matt Schnell by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Katlyn Chookagian def. Viviane Araujo via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Edson Barboza def. Shane Burgos by TKO (punches) at 1:16 of Round 3
Prelims Card (ESPN/8 p.m. ET)
- Middleweight bout: Andre Muniz def. Ronaldo Souza by submission (armbar) at 3:59 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Lando Vannata def. Mike Grundy by split decision (29-28, 27-30, 30-27)
- Middleweight bout: Jordan Wright def. Jamie Pickett by TKO (strikes) at 1:04 of Round 1
- Women’s flyweight bout: Andrea Lee def. Antonina Shevchenko by submission (triangle armbar) at 4:52 of Round 2
Early Prelims Card (ESPN+/5:30 p.m. ET)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Priscila Cachoeira def. Gina Mazany by TKO (punches) at 4:51 of Round 2
- Featherweight bout: Tucker Lutz def. Kevin Aguilar by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Christos Giagos def. Sean Soriano by submission (D’Arce choke) at 1:01 of Round 2