As feared, Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 will not be taking place on July 24.
Fury vs. Wilder 3 had been penciled in for Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada this month. “The Bronze Bomber” got his wish of getting a trilogy fight with “The Gypsy King” after winning an arbitration case. Fury’s team had been trying to ditch Wilder in favor of a title unification bout with Anthony Joshua.
ESPN’s Mike Coppinger was the first to report that the bout was in jeopardy of being pushed back due to a COVID-19 outbreak in Fury’s camp. At the time of the report, Top Rank officials said they were monitoring the situation and that the initial date would remain for the time being. Bob Arum said that to his knowledge, Fury hadn’t tested positive for COVID-19.
Just hours later, it was confirmed that Fury did indeed test positive. Lance Pugmire of The Athletic was told that the fight will now be held in October. Instead of being rebooked for Allegiant Stadium, the plan is to move the fight to the T-Mobile Arena.
As far as Fury’s condition is concerned, he’s being described as, “sick, but not that sick.” It’s being said that Fury’s team was thrown off guard by how fast the Delta variant of COVID-19 was able to spread through the gym.
As far as the long wait for the rebooking of Fury vs. Wilder 3 goes, it’s likely due to PBC, Wilder’s promoter, wanting to avoid any steam being taken away from the planned August showdown between Errol Spence Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. PBC is promoting Spence vs. Pacquiao.
When it comes to September, the UFC reportedly has Labor Day weekend on lock for Las Vegas. Anthony Joshua vs. Oleksandr Usyk is also expected to take place on September 25.