UFC 265 went down tonight (Sat. August 7, 2021) from Houston, Texas at the Toyota Center and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting that saw Derrick Lewis vs. Ciryl Gane for the interim heavyweight title.
The co-headliner saw a bout between Jose Aldo and Pedro Munhoz in a featherweight bout. Michael Chiesa vs. Vicente Luque in a welterweight bout, Angela Hill vs. Tecia Torres in a women’s strawweight bout, and Casey Kenney vs. Song Yadong in a bantamweight fight finished out the main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC 265 results below:
Derrick Lewis vs. Ciryl Gane
Lewis threw a head kick and slipped to start the fight. Lewis caught him with a low shot. Lewis charged in and Gane ran away. Gane caught him with a right hand then followed it up with another which Lewis thought was an eye poke. Gane in the second round clinched with him up against the fence. Gane kept switching stances and working over leg kicks. Lewis’ leg was shot in the third round and Gane put him up the fence where he rained down strikes. Gane with a big knee strike. Gane caught him with a right hand then poured on more strikes for the TKO win.
You can catch more highlights from the main event here!
José Aldo vs. Pedro Munhoz
A slow start with Munoz moving forward. Aldo was picking his shots. More of the same in the second round. It was a technical battle. Munoz started to throw leg kicks while Aldo was putting together combos and Munoz had some wear and tear on his face. Munoz came out aggressive in the third round before Aldo clinched with him up against the fence. Aldo caught him with a big right hand in the third round. Munoz answered back. Aldo got the decision win in what may have been a bit closer than anticipated.
You can catch more highlights from the co-main event here!
Michael Chiesa vs. Vicente Luque
Luque tagged Chiesa early in the first round, but Michael scored a single leg takedown right after slipping. Michael got his back and worked for a rear-naked choke. Luque did a nice job of defending it. Luque scrambled and got a d’arce choke and Chiesa tapped!
Angela Hill vs. Tecia Torres
Torres did come out strong with strikes. Hill came out to clinch with her and worked for takedowns. However, Tores did a nice job of defending the takedown. For round one, Toress was doing a better job at striking.
In the second round, Torres threw a combo and slipped. Hill managed to get back on top in mount where she landed some shots. Hill was trying to close the range, which Torres had and was winning on the feet. Torres scored two quick takedowns to end the third round. Torres got the decision win.
Casey Kenney vs. Song Yadong
It was a close back and forth first round. The second round saw Kenny come out more aggressive, but Song was throwing more volume. Song was doing a nice job of mixing up kicks and strikes as well as shots to the head and body. Casey was moving more. The third round saw Song go back to being the aggressor. Casey tried to do fake takedowns to get close, but he was eating shots. Song got the decision win.
Quick UFC 265 Results
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Interim heavyweight title bout: Ciryl Gane def. Derrick Lewis by TKO (punches) at 4:11 of Round 3 to win the interim UFC heavyweight championship
- Bantamweight bout: Jose Aldo def. Pedro Munhoz by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Welterweight bout: Vicente Luque def. Michael Chiesa by submission (D’Arce choke) at 3:25 of Round 1
- Women’s strawweight bout: Tecia Torres def. Angela Hill by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Song Yadong def. Casey Kenney by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN2/ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET)
- Lightweight bout: Rafael Fiziev def. Bobby Green by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Vince Morales def. Drako Rodriguez by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Light heavyweight bout: Alonzo Menifield def. Ed Herman by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Jessica Penne def. Karolina Kowalkiewicz by submission (armbar) at 4:32 of Round 1
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN2/ESPN+, 6 p.m. ET)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Manel Kape def. Ode Osbourne by knockout (flying knee & punches) at 4:44 of Round 1
- Bantamweight bout: Miles Johns def. Anderson Dos Santos by knockout (punch) at 1:16 of Round 3
- Women’s flyweight bout: Melissa Gatto def. Victoria Leonardo by TKO (doctor stoppage) at 5:00 of Round 2
- Bantamweight bout: Johnny Munoz def. Jamey Simmons by submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:35 of Round 2