UFC 271 went down tonight (Saturday, February 12, 2022) from Houston, Texas at the Toyota Center and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Israel Adesanya and Robert Whittaker in a middleweight title bout.
Their first fight took place at the UFC 243 pay-per-view from Sydney, Australia at the Marvel Stadium where Israel won by TKO to win the middleweight title.
The co-headliner saw a bout between Derrick Lewis and Tai Tuivasa. Derek Brunson vs. Jared Cannonier, Alexander Hernandez vs. Renato Moicano, and Bobby Green vs. Nasrat Haqparast finished out the main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC 271 results below:
Bobby Green vs. Nasrat Haqparast
The first round, they had a feeling out process. Green continued to pepper him with jabs.
In the second round, Nasrat continued to push forward, but was eating shots right up the lane. Nasrat had issues with putting together combos.
Nasrat was bloodied going into the third round, but came out more aggressive, which fired up Green, who started to put together some combos. Green continued to pepper him with shots and was just in control with his speed, footwork, everything. Green won by unanimous decision.
Alexander Hernandez vs. Renato Moicano
They came out firing in the first round. Renato kept looking for a takedown and eventually clinched with him up against the fence. He worked for a takedown, but Alexander had good defense. Renato got it in the middle part of the round. Alexander scrambled to his feet about a minute later and was firing away.
In the second round, Renato landed a combo then blocked a takedown and got on his back while swarming him with shots before locking in the rear-naked choke for the win.
Derek Brunson vs. Jared Cannonier
Brunson came out and scored a takedown, but Jared got right back to his feet. Derek chased him a bit and they clinched before separating. Derek stunned him with a right hand before clinching, but Jared landed some knee strikes to the gut. Derek with another clinch attempt and took him down. Jared back up, but then Derek dropped him and got his back before locking in the rear-naked choke, but time ran out.
In the second round, Derek got a brief takedown, but Jared back up. Derek was starting to lean at a weird angle. Jared continued to tag him with an overhand right. This was a good round for Jared. With 45 seconds to go, Jared dropped him with an elbow shot then finished him on the ground.
Derrick Lewis vs. Tai Tuivasa
Tai was throwing leg kicks early. Tai clinched with him up against the fence before they were separated. Lewis threw a head kick then a big right hand before they clinched again. Lewis attempted a takedown, but Tai blocked it and landed some good elbows. Lewis with a big trip takedown then smashed him with shots. Tai back up to their feet and they threw down before Tai clinched with him. Lewis with another takedown, but Tai right back up.
In the second round, Lewis stunned him with a right hand and followed up with a combo before clinching with him up against the fence. Lewis went for a takedown, but blocked. They both hurt each other. Tai hurt him then dropped him with an elbow for the win.
Israel Adesanya vs. Robert Whittaker
The first round was a feeling out process with them exchanging leg kicks. Israel knocked him down with a straight punch, but Whittaker right back up. Izzy shut down a takedown attempt and later did it again. Izzy caught him with a left hook.
The second round saw Whittaker catch him with a left hook. Whittaker started to get more aggressive, but was reaching out way too much. Whittaker caught him with a left again. Whittaker with a takedown mid-way through the round. Izzy right back to his feet. Whittaker’s left leg was bruised up pretty good due to the kicks.
The third round saw Whittaker get a takedown, but it was stuffed and Izzy landed some knee shots. Moments later, Whittaker got a takedown and took his back, but Izzy stood up. Whittaker clinched with him up against the fence. They separated.
In the fourth round, Whittaker got a takedown and took his back, but Izzy stood up. Whittaker got off his back as Izzy nicely defended the choke. Izzy throughout was still putting the pressure on him and mostly winning the striking battles. Whittaker clinched with him up against the fence.
Whittaker got a takedown after a level change mid-way through the fifth round. Izzy back to his feet and they did some clinch work. Whittaker landed a solid shot out of the break. The judges gave the win to Adesanya, who retained the strap.
Quick UFC 271 Results
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 6 p.m. ET)
- Light heavyweight bout: Maxim Grishin def. William Knight via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Welterweight bout: Jeremiah Wells def. Blood Diamond by submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:38 of Round 1
- Bantamweight bout: Douglas Silva de Andrade def. Sergey Morozov via technical submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:34
- Middleweight bout: Jacob Malkoun def. AJ Dobson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight bout: Ronnie Lawrence def. Mana Martinez via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN/ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET)
- Light heavyweight bout: Carlos Ulberg def. Fabio Cherant via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Flyweight bout: Kyler Phillips defeated Marcelo Rojo via submission (armbar), 1:48 of round 3
- Women’s flyweight bout: Casey O’Neill def. Roxanne Modafferi via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Heavyweight bout: Andrei Arlovski def. Jared Vanderaa via split-decision. (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Lightweight bout: Bobby Green def. Nasrat Haqparast via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Lightweight bout: Renato Moicano def. Alexander Hernandez via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:23
- Middleweight bout: Jared Cannonier def. Derek Brunson via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:29
- Heavyweight bout: Tai Tuivasa def. Derrick Lewis via KO (standing elbow) – Round 2, 1:40
- Middleweight bout: Israel Adesanya def. Robert Whittaker via unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46)