Sunday, August 14, 2022

Archives: Stipe Miocic Goes Off On ‘Disrespectful’ Lesnar (2018)

On this day four years ago, we ran a story about a disgruntled Stipe Miocic who had an axe to grind with one Brock Lesnar.

At UFC 226, Stipe Miocic’s historic first run as UFC heavyweight champion came to an end when Daniel Cormier knocked him out in the first round. Ahead of the bout, there was a certain beast lurking in the shadows, that being another former UFC titleholder, Brock Lesnar.

Prior to UFC 226, the Brock Lesnar money fight was dangled in front of both of the main event participants. So after Cormier got his arm raised, Lesnar got a jump start on the promotion by giving Cormier a hard shove followed by some trash talk.

The bout between Cormier and Lesnar never took place, and Miocic would go on to win both the rematch and the trilogy against Cormier.

Latest News

Stipe Miocic has been keeping a low profile since losing the heavyweight title to Francis Ngannou at UFC 260 in March of 2021. However, the latest news hints at Miocic returning to activity where it matters most by year’s end: inside the UFC Octagon. And if his would-be opponent has his way, that would be former light heavyweight king Jon “Bones” Jones.

Also circulating recently was Chris Weidman saying in so many words that Jones should be careful what he wishes for because he’d be facing a much larger, more deadly version of Miocic.

You can judge Miocic’s current physique for yourself in the Instagram post released earlier this week.

The following article is presented to you in its original, unaltered form, courtesy of The MMA News Archives.

On This Day Four Years Ago…

[ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED JULY 16, 2018, 10:45 AM]

Headline: Stipe Miocic Goes Off on ‘Disrespectful’ Brock Lesnar Over UFC 226 Antics

Author: Andrew Ravens

Former UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic has voiced his displeasure with the antics that went on following his loss at the UFC 226 pay-per-view event.

After Daniel Cormier was able to score a KO win over Miocic to win the UFC heavyweight title in the main event of the UFC 226 pay-per-view event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, there was an intense moment between Cormier and former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

In a recent interview, Miocic stated that he wants the UFC to consider booking an immediate rematch between him and Cormier before DC fights Lesnar in January. He also made it clear that he would not accept any other option for his next fight other than this title rematch.

“It was a s— show, and it was disrespectful,” Miocic told ESPN when asked about Lesnar’s appearance at UFC 226. “I didn’t think that was what the UFC was all about.”

“I thought they were going to interview me (after the fight) and I was going to ask for a rematch,” Miocic said. “When Brock came in, I said, ‘I’m out of here, I don’t need this circus.’ How can you give a guy a title shot who hasn’t fought in over two years, is suspended, and his last fight is a no-contest because he was taking PEDs?”

“I want a title shot. I deserve it,” Miocic said. “This guy hasn’t fought in how long? For him to get a title shot, as I get thrown to the side? It just seems like they are desperate for pay-per-views.

“I cleaned out the division. I defended it more than anyone, and you’re gonna tell me I don’t deserve a chance to get it back? Get out of here. Kiss my ass if you don’t think I deserve that.”

Miocic brought up the fact that the only conversation he’s had with UFC President Dana White after the fight was when White apologized for Lesnar entering the Octagon and causing the scene. Miocic said the apology didn’t mean much.

What are your thoughts on Miocic’s comments? Sound off in the comment section.

Related Articles

Follow MMA News

261,236FansLike
133FollowersFollow
3,867FollowersFollow
2,440SubscribersSubscribe
Related Articles