Rafael Carvalho entered Bellator 155 carrying a 12-fight win streak and the middleweight title.
And he left Boise, Idaho with the streak still intact and the belt around his waist – but it came with controversy.
Carvalho was declared the winner via split decision after a five-round battle inside the CenturyLink Arena Friday night over Melvin Manhoef. Many watching around the world pegged Manhoef the winner, but two of the three judges scoring it sided with the champion.
Pat Curran, a former Bellator featherweight champion, claimed a decision over Georgi Karakhanyan in the co-main event and Alexis Dufresne stunned ex-Strikeforce champion Marloes Coenen with a first round submission win.
Results can be found below:
– Rafael Carvalho def. Melvin Manhoef via split decision (47-48, 48-47, 48-47) to retain Bellator middleweight championship
– Pat Curran def. Georgi Karakhanyan via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
– Dan Charles vs. Augusto Sakai declared a majority draw (30-26, 28-28, 28-28)
– Alexis Dufresne def. Marloes Coenen via submission (triangle armbar) at 4:33 of Round 1
– Chase Gormley def. Joey Beltran via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
– Jesse Brock def. Olly Bradstreet via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:57 of Round 3
– Marcin Held def. Dave Jansen via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
– Casey Johnson def. Brendon Raftery via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:16 of Round 2
– Joe Hamilton def. Tyler Freeland via submission (rear-naked choke) at :22 of Round 11
– Vince Morales def. Hamilton Ash via TKO (strikes) at 2:32 of Round 3
– Veta Arteaga def. Jackie Vandenburgh via unanimous decision (29-27, 30-27, 29-28)
– Scott Thometz def. Josh Tyler via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-25, 30-25)
– Will Noland def. Sean Powers via KO (strike) at 3:29 of Round 1