UFC President Dana White recently spoke in-depth about his last-ditch effort to sign former UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar hours before he put pen-to-paper to extend his deal with WWE last month.
White appeared on the Chad Dukes show on 106.7 The Fan on Thursday to talk more about the subject.
When asked how close UFC was to scooping Lesnar away from Vince McMahon and the WWE, White replied, “Not very close at all.”
“We’d known that Brock was probably going to take a pass and go back to wrestling, which was the right move,” said White. “You know, Brock came in here, he did incredible things and he got a great deal from Vince [McMahon]. He’s 38 years old, man. It makes all the sense in the world.”
While that was White’s take on the situation, Lesnar, when making the announcement to ESPN that he had officially re-signed with WWE, opting to remain a professional wrestler instead of returning to the world of MMA, made it sound like it was a very tough call to make.
“It was a very hard decision to make,” Lesnar said to ESPN when officially making the announcement last month.
“I talked to Dana, I talked to Lorenzo [Fertitta], Vince, my wife [and] my friends,” said Lesnar at the time. “I had many sleepless nights. And at the end of the day, I was born to be an entertainer and I have fun doing it.”