Robert Whittaker will not be fighting Jared Cannonier on March 7.
Former UFC middleweight champion Robert Whittaker was originally set to meet Cannonier at UFC 248. As it turns out, Whittaker has pulled out of the card. The bout would’ve been held inside the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
ESPN’s Ariel Helwani reported that Whittaker’s removal from UFC 248 is due to personal reasons.
“Robert Whittaker is out his March 7 UFC 248 fight against Jared Cannonier due to undisclosed personal reasons, sources say. UFC efforting to keep Cannonier on the card but no opponent locked in yet, I’m told.”
Helwani went on to say that sources informed him that Whittaker’s pullout is not due to the wildfires in Australia.
“Btw, can confirm Whittaker’s withdrawal has nothing to do with the wildfires in Australia, per sources.”
Here’s an updated look at the UFC 248 card.
- Weili Zhang (c) vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk
- Jared Cannonier vs. TBA
- Alex Oliveira vs. Max Griffin
- Rodolfo Vieira vs. Saparbek Safarov
- Neil Magny vs. Li Jingliang
- Emily Whitmire vs. Polyana Viana
- Danaa Batgerel vs. Guido Cannetti
- Beneil Dariush vs. Drakkar Klose
- Sean O’Malley vs. Jose Alberto Quinonez
- Calvin Kattar vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Mark Madsen vs. Austin Hubbard