Tonight (Sat. March 16, 2019) Errol Spence Jr. defended his IBF welterweight championship against WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia. Garcia was jumping up from 135 pounds to 147 pounds in an attempt to hand Spence his first career loss. Spence is widely regarded as one of boxing’s pound-for-pound best. He brings incredible punching power to the table, as, of his then-24 career wins, 21 had come by way of knockout.
Garcia packs quite the punch himself. The then-undefeated 39-0 American had 30 career knockouts. However, the size difference between the pair was a concerning factor heading into the fight. Many believed Spence’s power would be too much for the lightweight to handle. Check out MMA News’ coverage of Spence Jr. vs. Garcia here:
- Welterweight: (C) Errol Spence Jr. def. Mikey Garcia via unanimous decision (120-107, 120-108)
- Super middleweight: David Benavidez def. J’Leon Love via R2 TKO (1:14)
- Super lightweight: Lindolfo Delgado def. Jeff Roach via R1 KO (2:59)
- Bantamweight: Luis Nery def. McJoe Arroyo via R5 TKO (corner stoppage, 0:10)
- Heavyweight: Chris Arreola def. Jean Pierre Augustin via R3 TKO (2:03)
- Heavyweight: Charles Martin def. Gregory Corbin via R8 DQ (repeated low blows, 0:53)