Stipe Miocic has responded to some recent comments made by UFC heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier.
While the UFC tried and failed to get Cormier vs. Brock Lesnar booked, the Las Vegas promotion went with their back up plan which was to give the former UFC heavyweight champion a rematch against Cormier, which is something that he has demanded for quite some time now.
Cormier scored a KO win over Miocic to win the UFC heavyweight title in the main event of the UFC 226 pay-per-view event. DC has since relinquished the UFC light heavyweight title as he focuses on his legacy at heavyweight.
Miocic Responds To These Comments
Just last week, Cormier admitted that he was disappointed a fight against Lesnar wasn’t made due to the big money that he would have earned. He also stated that Miocic has been acting “entitled” to a rematch despite the fact that he would’ve likely fought the winner.
“I have no idea what he was talking about ‘we had a company conversation,’” Miocic told Ariel Helwani (H/T to MMAFighting). “I definitely wasn’t in that conversation. I had no idea about the Brock thing until literally right before I walked out for the fight so he’s an idiot. I have no idea what he’s talking about. He literally says one thing then he says something else. I don’t even listen anymore. But yeah, whatever. I don’t care. I’m fighting him that’s all I care about.
“He can say what he wants to say, he’ll probably say something tomorrow and I don’t know. Whatever. If the roles were reversed, he would be doing the same thing,”
A rematch between Cormier and Miocic is expected to serve as the headliner of the upcoming UFC 241 pay-per-view event on August 17, 2019, at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.