UFC 239 went down tonight (Sat. July 6, 2019) from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy. It’s headlined by a meeting between UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Thiago Santos.
Also, a women’s bantamweight title bout between champ Amanda Nunes and former champion Holly Holm takes place on the card. It’s certain to have a great night of fights from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Check out MMA News’ UFC 239 results below:
Light heavyweight title bout: Jon Jones (champion) vs. Thiago Santos
Round 1: Jones starts out with some leg kicks. Santos answered back that got Jones off balanced. Jones walks him down early. Santos is attacking Jones’ legs. Jones caught a body kick and missed a spinning elbow strike. Jones with a head kick but Santos blocked it well. Santos blitzes him with strikes, misses, but Jones’ mouthpiece comes out. Santos caught him with a hook then followed up with some nice strikes that landed solid. Jones was leaping in and Santos was catching him. Santos was also finding success with leg kicks.
Round 2: Santos seemed to hurt his leg while throwing a kick and Jones tried to pounce on it but never landed anything solid. Santos started to throw kicks again and appears to be fine. Jones is working his way into range. Jones landed a solid body kick and Santos fell down as he kicked but got back to his feet. Santos started throwing wild bombs and landed a hard head kick that Jones partially defended.
Round 3: Santos left leg appears to be injured. That hasn’t stopped him from landing kicks to the legs and body of Jones though. Jones landed a flying knee strike to the jaw of Santos but Jones fell down and got right back to his feet so he couldn’t capitalize. Santos hit a head kick but fellow down and got back to his feet. Santos started to bleed from his hairline and slow down as Jones picks up his pace.
Round 4: Santos blitzes and hits Jones and backs him up to the cage. Jones missed a wild wheel kick. The problems that Santos is dealing with in his knee is affecting his performance. Jones is attacking the left knee of Santos which has buckled a few times in this fight. The pace has slowed down tremendously.
Round 5: Santos was still throwing for broke and pressing forward while Jones was trying to keep his range to keep things safe. Santos lands a huge punch but Jones has been eating them all night long. Santos slipped but got right back up.
Official Result: Jon Jones def. Thiago Santos by split decision (47-48, 48-47, 48-47)
Women’s bantamweight title bout: Amanda Nunes (champion) vs. Holly Holm
Round 1: Holm tagged her as Nunes was going in for an inside leg kick. Nunes stayed upright and continued to circle. They were trying to figure each other out early. Not a ton of action while Holm was looking to counter strike. Nunes got her range down briefly and landed a good combo. Nunes with a body kick and a left hook. Nunes dropped her with a head kick and finished her up with strikes on the ground.
Official Result: Amanda Nunes def. Holly Holm by TKO (head kick, punches) at 4:10 of Round 1
- Welterweight bout: Jorge Masvidal def. Ben Askren by knockout (flying knee) in :05 of Round 1
- Light heavyweight bout: Jan Blachowicz def. Luke Rockhold by knockout (punches) at 1:39 of Round 2
- Welterweight bout: Michael Chiesa def. Diego Sanchez by unanimous decision
- Featherweight bout: Arnold Allen def. Gilbert Melendez by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Bantamweight bout: Marlon Vera def. Nohelin Hernandez by submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:25 of Round 2
- Women’s strawweight bout: Claudia Gadelha def. Randa Markos by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Bantamweight bout: Song Yadong def. Alejandro Perez via KO (punch) at 2:04 of round one
- Middleweight bout: Edmen Shahbazyan def. Jack Marshman by submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:12 of Round 1
- Welterweight bout: Chance Rencountre def. Ismail Naurdiev by unanimous decision (29-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Julia Avila def. Pannie Kianzad by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26)
**Keep refreshing for live results**