UFC 240 went down tonight (Sat. July 27, 2019) from the Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy. It was headlined by a meeting between Max Holloway and Frankie Edgar.
Also, Cris Cyborg vs. Felicia Spencer took place on the card. It’s certain to have a great night of fights from. Check out MMA News’ UFC 240 results below:
Featherweight title bout: Max Holloway vs. Frankie Edgar
Round 1: Edgar is moving briskly, tossing out kicks and punches, which causes Holloway to step back and try to figure him out with a slow start. Edgar is coming after the champ. The challenger is working over the legs of Holloway with kicks. Edgar lands a hard right hand as he continues to control the pace despite lunging in with strikes. Holloway with another nice uppercut, but Edgar is sticking and moving.
Round 2: Holloway with a hard left to the body and a right hand counter. Edgar shoots in and nearly scores the takedown, but Holloway breaks free. Edgar getting countered more consistently. Holloway started to put together combos as he has seemed to have found a rhythm here. Edgar walks into a hard right to the face, but he shakes it off.
Round 3: Edgar is trying to get inside with a flurry, but he misses. This allows Holloway to stalk him slowly and tag him when the chance is there. Edgar shoots but is stuffed and then ate a left hook. Edgar is staying busy but at the same time, not landing much as the range is starting to come into effect. An uppercut from Holloway knocks Edgar’s mouthpiece out. Holloway flurries and Edgar drops for a double leg and gets it.
Round 4: Edgar shot in for an early takedown but Holloway shoved him off. Edgar moving and looking for another chance to drop in on the single. Edgar with another single attempt and Holloway hops out of it. Edgar is bleeding quite a bit from his nose. Holloway with a pair of hard rights to the face that leaves Edgar rocked and then misses a takedown. Edgar pressed him against the fence to end the round.
Round 5: Holloway cracks him with a jab and a right cross. Edgar shoots in but he’s stuffed again. Holloway continues to land jab after jab and Edgar is eating them at this point. They exchanged to the bell.
Official Result: Max Holloway def. Frankie Edgar by unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 48-47)
- Women’s featherweight bout: Cris Cyborg def. Felicia Spencer via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Welterweight bout: Geoff Neal def. Niko Price by TKO (punches) at 2:39 of Round 2
- Lightweight bout: Arman Tsarukyan def. Olivier Aubin-Mercier by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Middleweight bout: Krzysztof Jotko def. Marc-Andre Barriault by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Viviane Araujo def. Alexis Davis by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Hakeem Dawodu def. Yoshinori Horie by TKO (head kick) at 4:09 of Round 3
- Featherweight bout: Gavin Tucker def. Seung Woo Choi by submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:17 of Round 3
- Flyweight bout: Deiveson Figueiredo def. Alexandre Pantoja by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Gillian Robertson def. Sarah Frota by TKO (elbows) at 4:13 of Round 2
- Welterweight bout: Erik Koch def. Kyle Stewart by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)