UFC 247 pay-per-view event went down tonight (Sat. February 8, 2020) from the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Jon Jones and Dominick Reyes for the UFC light heavyweight title.
The co-headliner saw Valentina Shevchenko vs. Katlyn Chookagian for the women’s flyweight title that featured Shevchenko defending the title.
Rounding out the five bout main card was Juan Adams vs. Justin Tafa in a heavyweight bout, Mirsad Bektic vs. Dan Ige in a featherweight bout, and Ilir Latifi vs. Derrick Lewis in a heavyweight showdown.
Jon Jones vs. Dominick Reyes
Reyes came out blazing and took the fight right to the champion. Jones tried to get his distance but Reyes was right in his face. In round two, Jones started his knee/thigh kicks to get that distance and tried to get him on his heels. Reyes wasn’t backing down. As the round went on, Jones started to turn the momentum but Reyes had more output. Reyes cracked him with a head kick to open the third round. Reyes followed up with some nice shots but Jones stayed control of the center of the Octagon and pace. Reyes started to slow down as Jones walked him down. Jones went for a takedown but it was stuffed before they briefly clinched. The start of round 4 saw Reyes rock Jones with a series of uppercuts and Jones went for takedowns, which he got but briefly as Reyes went right back to his feet. Jones stunned him with an elbow shot as the round came to a close. Jones was able to score another takedown but once again couldn’t keep him down. They traded to the bell. In the end, the judges gave the win to Jones by unanimous decision.
Valentina Shevchenko vs. Katlyn Chookagian
Shevchenko was able to score a takedown in the first round and controlled her there before capping it off with an elbow strike that sliced open Katlyn’s left eyebrow. Shevchenko landed a wild spinning wheel kick to the shoulder of Katlyn before scoring a takedown to end the second round. In the third round, Shevchenko scored a takedown and got side control where she rained down strikes to end the fight.
Juan Adams vs. Justin Tafa
Tafa didn’t waste any time. Tafa rushed him and cracked him with a big shot before following up with an uppercut and that’s a wrap.
Mirsad Bektic vs. Dan Ige
The first round saw a mixture of the two stars striking it out. The second round featured Bektic score a takedown in the middle of the round and pinned him up against the fence. Bektic went for an arm triangle choke in full mount. However, Ige was able to get out of it but Bektic kept him grounded. Finally, in the third round, they did so clinch work up against the fence. Ige started to let his hands go as it appeared that he had the advantage with striking while Bektic was better with takedowns. Ige got the win by split decision.
Ilir Latifi vs. Derrick Lewis
They mostly clinched in the first round. There were some bright spots with Lewis, who connected with a flying knee after he popped off some combos and a fast head kick. In round two, there was more clinching before Laitifi was able to score a trip takedown and got half guard on top. The referee stands them up a few minutes later but Latifi tosses him back to the ground as the round ends. In the third round, Latifi scored another takedown and stayed there for most of the round. Lewis got to his feet and was throwing bombs. In the end, the judges gave the win to Lewis by unanimous decision.
Quick UFC 247 Results
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Light heavyweight title bout: Jon Jones def. Dominick Reyes by unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46) to retain the title
- Women’s flyweight title bout: Valentina Shevchenko def. Katlyn Chookagian by TKO (strikes) at 1:03 of Round 3 to retain the title
- Heavyweight bout: Justin Tafa def. Juan Adams by TKO (punches) at 1:59 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Dan Ige def. Mirsad Bektic via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Heavyweight bout: Derrick Lewis def. Ilir Latifi by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, 8 p.m. ET)
- Middleweight bout: Trevin Giles def. James Krause by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Lauren Murphy def. Andrea Lee by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)
- Welterweight bout: Khaos Williams def. Alex Morono by knockout (punches) at :27 of Round 1
- Bantamweight bout: Mario Bautista def. Miles Johns by TKO (strikes) at 1:41 of Round 2
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 6:15 p.m. ET)
- Bantamweight bout: Journey Newson def. Domingo Pilarte by TKO (punches) at :38 of Round 1
- Bantamweight bout: Andre Ewell def. Jonathan Martinez by split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Youseff Zalal def. Austin Lingo by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)