UFC Copenhagen went down today (Sat. September 28, 2019) from the Royal Arena. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Jack Hermansson and Jared Cannonier. The co-headliner saw Mark Madsen vs. Danilo Belluardo in a lightweight bout.
Rounding out the six-bout main card was Gunnar Nelson vs. Gilbert Burns in a welterweight bout, Ion Cutelaba vs. Khalil Rountree Jr. in a light heavyweight bout, Michal Oleksiejczuk vs. Ovince Saint Preux in a light heavyweight showdown, and Nicolas Dalby vs. Alex Oliveira in a welterweight battle.
Jack Hermansson vs. Jared Cannonier
Hermansson scored an early-round takedown in the first but Cannonier stayed calm and made his way up to his feet where he started to shut down takedown attempts going forward. In the second round, Cannonier caught him moving forward and landed a nice uppercut that dropped him. Cannonier swarms him with strikes on the ground for the win.
Mark Madsen vs. Danilo Belluardo
Madsen immediately took him down then rained down strikes to earn the first-round finish. Complete domination.
Gunnar Nelson vs. Gilbert Burns
In round one, Burns was getting the better of Nelson on the feet with his strikes as he was doing a nice job of landing hard leg kicks. That turned around once Nelson clinched with him and took him down to close the round. Nelson worked for a takedown in the second round but Burns was putting up a good fight with his grappling and even teased a choke at the end of the round. Bruns did land a good flying knee strike. More of the same in the third round as it was a close fight. In the end, the judges gave the win to Burns.
Ion Cutelaba vs. Khalil Rountree Jr.
This was a quick one as Cutelaba took him down and then smashed him with strikes and elbows on the ground to wrap it up.
Michal Oleksiejczuk vs. Ovince Saint Preux
Oleksiecjzuk started fast in each round which appeared to give him an advantage with his strikes and clinch work. OSP continued to work for takedowns, which he was successful at. In the second round, OSP locked in a Von Preux choke for the win.
Nicolas Dalby vs. Alex Oliveira
In round one after mixing it up with strikes, Oliveria scored a takedown where he controlled him with his grappling and landed some decent strikes. In round two, Dalby scored a takedown and kept him there for the majority of the round with some good grappling. Once, Olivera got to his feet, Dalby pounced on him with strikes until Alexa took him down and caught him with an up kick. Round three ended with Dalby landing some big elbow strikes but the clock expired. The judges gave the win to Dalby.
It was certain to have a great night of fights from Copenhagen, Denmark. Check out MMA News’ UFC Copenhagen results below:
Quick UFC Copenhagen Results
Main Card (2 PM ET, ESPN+)
- Middleweight bout: Jared Cannonier def. Jack Hermansson by TKO (punches) at :27 of Round 2
- Lightweight bout: Mark Madsen def. Danilo Belluardo by TKO (strikes) at 1:12 of Round 1
- Welterweight bout: Gilbert Burns def. Gunnar Nelson by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Light Heavyweight bout: Ion Cutelaba def. Khalil Rountree by TKO (strikes) at 2:35 of Round 1
- Light Heavyweight bout: Ovince Saint Preux def. Michal Oleksiejczuk by submission (Von Preux choke) at 2:14 of Round 2
- Welterweight bout: Nicolas Dalby def. Alex Oliveira by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Preliminary Card (11 AM ET, ESPN+)
- Middleweight bout: John Phillips def. Alen Amedovski by knockout (punches) at :14 of Round 1
- Middleweight Makhmud Muradov def. Alessio Di Chircio by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Welterweight bout: Ismail Naurdiev def. Siyar Bahadurzada by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-25, 30-25)
- Featherweight bout: Giga Chikadze vs. Brandon Davis ruled draw (29-28, 28-29, 29-29)
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Lina Lansberg def. Macy Chiasson by unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Marc Diakiese def. Lando Vannata by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Bantamweight bout: Jack Shore def. Nohelin Hernandez via submission at 2:51 of round 3