UFC Mexico City went down tonight (Sat. September 21, 2019) from the Mexico City Arena in Mexico City, Mexico. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a featherweight meeting between Yair Rodriguez and Jeremy Stephens. The co-headliner saw Carla Esparza vs. Alexa Grasso step inside of the Octagon for a women’s strawweight bout.
Brandon Moreno vs. Askar Askarov in a flyweight bout, Irene Aldana vs. Vanessa Melo in a women’s bantamweight bout, and Martin Bravo vs. Steven Peterson in a featherweight bout rounded out the main card.
Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens
The fight went about 15 seconds before Rodriguez swiped Stephens’ eye and the fight was put on hold. After five minutes, Stephens couldn’t open his eye and the fight was called. The fans in attendance were throwing trash into the Octagon. It was ruled a no contest.
Carla Esparza vs. Alexa Grasso
The story of the fight was the constant takedowns by Esparza, who controlled the pace of this fight nicely. Props to Grasso for being able to stay active with her activity as she was fighting off her back and trying to transition. Despite her best attempt, Esparza was in full control of this fight. In the third round, Grasso stunned her with a furry but was not able to finish her. Grasso teased an armbar attempt and locked it in but Carla got out of it. The judges gave the win to Esparza by decision.
Brandon Moreno vs. Askar Askarov
It was crazy action but neither lands anything cleanly for the most part. They mixed it up in the striking department, clinch, and even the ground game. Askarov was pushing for takedowns and found success throughout the fight. Late in the second round, Askarov dropped him with a knee strike but Moreno was able to survive. In the third round, Askarov went for some submissions to get a finish but wasn’t able to do so. The fight ended in a split draw.
Irene Aldana vs. Vanessa Melo
Aldana controlled the pace, but Melo keeping her head above water in the first round as these two are putting on a boxing clinic. Not a ton of big moments but solid action with both women getting in there shots. The story of the fight was the fact that Aldana used her jabs in a tremendous way that allowed her to set up other strikes. In the end, the judges awarded Aldana the decision win.
Martin Bravo vs. Steven Peterson
It was all a brawl in round one with the highlight of Bravo knocking him down with a hard shot but Peterson recovered and got back to his feet. Peterson KO’d him with a massive spinning back fist then landed one shot on the ground for good measure.
It was certain to have a great night of fights from Mexico City. Check out MMA News’ UFC Mexico City results below:
Quick UFC Mexico City Results
Main Card (ESPN+, 8 PM ET)
- Featherweight bout: Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens ends in a no contest (accidental eye poke) at :15 of Round 1
- Women’s strawweight bout: Carla Esparza def. Alexa Grasso by majority decision (28-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Flyweight bout: Brandon Moreno vs. Askar Askarov ends in a split draw (28-28, 28-29, 30-27
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Irene Aldana def. Vanessa Melo by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Featherweight bout: Steven Peterson def. Martin Bravo by knockout (spinning backfist) at 1:31 of Round 2
Preliminary Card (ESPN+, 5 PM ET)
- Bantamweight bout: Jose Quinonez def. Carlos Huachin by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Kyle Nelson def. Polo Reyes by knockout (punches) at 1:36 of Round 1
- Women’s strawweight bout: Angela Hill def. Ariane Carnelossi by TKO (cut) at 1:56 of Round 3
- Bantamweight bout: Sergio Pettis def. Tyson Nam by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Light heavyweight bout: Paul Craig def. Vinicius Moreira via submission (RNC) (R1, 3:19)
- Women’s bantamweight bout: Bethe Correia def. Sijara Eubanks by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Claudio Puelles def. Marcos Mariano by unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-25)