Last night (Sat. October 27, 2018) the UFC was in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada for a great night of mixed martial arts (MMA) competition.
UFC Fight Night 138 was be headlined by a light heavyweight collision between Volkon Oezdemir and Anthony Smith. Also, in the co-main event, featherweights Michael Johnson and Artem Lobov went go head-to-head. Another high-profile 205-pound fight also went go down when Misha Cirkunov returned against Patrick Cummins.
Check out MMA News’ UFC Moncton results here below:
- Light heavyweight: Volkan Oezdemir vs. Anthony Smith
Volkan with a leg kick and Smith goes right in on a takedown attempt. Volkan stuffs it and has the dominant position against the cage. Volkan coming after Smith hard now after they separate, but Smith manages to separate with front kicks to the body. Some leg kicks from Smith now. Another inside leg kick for Smith, who accidentally pokes Volkan’s eye and temporarily stops the action.
A high-kick from Volkan right out the gate, but Smith is able to defend. An elbow sneaks inside for Smith inside the pocket. Volkan with a few leg kicks and he follows up with strikes against the cage. Volkan pressures Smith against the cage again. The round comes to an end.
Volkan with a leg kick out the gate, but Smith connects with a nice right hand. Smith with a blitz that backs Volkan against the cage. Smith getting more aggressive now. Volkan with a takedown now and is right into half guard. Now Smith is attacking a leg, however, Volkan spins to take side back control on Smith. Volkan can’t advance position, as Smith is defending very well. Smith lets the time run out and survives the round.
Lead hook for Smith lands. Smith putting together some counter combinations now. Smith lands a big shot, but Volkan responds with one of his own. Both men exchanging hard shots now. An uppercut lands for Volkan, and Smith trips Volkan. Both men are exchanging, but look very tired. Smith bursts in on a takedown and gets it. Smith takes Volkan’s back. Smith is working a choke now. Volkan is hand fighting now, but Smith maneuvers his way into the choke. Volkan taps, and that’s it.
Official Result: Anthony Smith def. Volkan Oezdemir via R3 submission (rear-naked choke, 4:26)
- Catchweight (147 pounds): Michael Johnson def. Artem Lobov via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Light heavyweight: Misha Cirkunov def. Patrick Cummins via R1 submission (arm triangle choke, 2:40)
- Bantamweight: Andre Soukhamthath def. Jonathan Martinez via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 29-28)
- Light heavyweight: Gian Villante def. Ed Herman via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Welterweight: Court McGee def. Alex Garcia via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-28)
- Welterweight: Sean Strickland def. Nordine Taleb via R2 TKO (punches, 3:10)
- Lightweight: Nasrat Haqparast def. Thibault Gouti via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-28, 30-26)
- Featherweight: Calvin Kattar def. Chris Fishgold via R1 TKO (punches, 4:11)
- Bantamweight: Talita Bernardo def. Sarah Moras via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
UFC Fight Pass Exclusive Preliminary Card:
- Lightweight: Don Madge def. Te Edwards via R2 KO (head-kick, 0:14)
- Heavyweight: Arjan Bhullar def. Marcelo Golm via unanimous decision (28-28, 29-28, 29-27)
- Lightweight: Stevie Ray def. Jessin Ayari via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
**Keep refreshing for live updates**