UFC on ESPN 13 went down tonight (Wednesday, July 15, 2020) from Abu Dhabi’s Yas Island aka Fight Island and we have the results. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Calvin Kattar and Dan Ige in a featherweight bout.
The co-headliner saw Tim Elliott vs. Ryan Benoit in a flyweight bout. Jimmie Rivera vs. Cody Stamann in a featherweight showdown, Molly McCann vs. Taila Santos in a women’s featherweight bout, and Abdul Razzak Alhassan vs. Mounir Lazzez in a welterweight fight rounded out the main card.
It was certain to have a great night of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC On ESPN 13 results below:
Calvin Kattar vs. Dan Ige
Kattar landed a nice combo before Ige charged at him. Kattar knocked him down and landed some decent strikes with Ige on his back before getting back up. Kattar caught a kick and scored a takedown with a minute to go in the first round. Ige cracked him with a right hand but Kattar ended the round with a flying knee strike. Kattar came charging out in round two by throwing his jab and straight right hand. Ige tagged him in the middle of the second round and busted open the nose of Kattar. Kattar stunned him with a combo and then barely missed a flying knee strike. Once the third round hit, Kattar was walking Ige down and throwing long jabs while Ige was circling and trying to get inside. Ige did score a takedown in the fourth round but Kattar got up then dove on him and landed a big elbow. They ended the last round with striking just as the style of the fight had played out. The judges gave the win to Kattar.
Tim Elliott vs. Ryan Benoit
As expected, a quick pace fight with Elliott pushing the action. Elliott was trying to land combos in order to go for a takedown. Benoit was doing a good job of keeping up his defense regarding takedowns. Elliott scored a takedown to end the round. Elliott went for a takedown, but ate a kick to the face by Benoit. Later in the round, Elliott scored a takedown and managed to get on top in full mount. Benoit went for a knee bar then a heel hook, but couldn’t get it. Benoit came alive in the third round and was able to let his hands go. This was the most impressive round for Benoit. The judges gave the win to Elliott.
Jimmie Rivera vs. Cody Stamann
Stamann came out throwing leather but the dynamic of the fight quickly changed when Rivera attempted a takedown only for Stamann to go for a takedown. Stamann pinned him up against the fence until they were separated. More of the same as both guys were clinching and looking to score takedowns. Rivera did find some success in this round as he was able to land some shots. The fight got more entertaining once they decided to strike it out for a few minutes before Stamann clinched with him again. Rivera got the decision win.
Molly McCann vs. Taila Santos
Santos came out aggressive and was landing some good shots while mixing up kicks to the gut. McCann started to come alive but Santos started to look for the takedowns and got it. McCann was bleeding from her eyebrow. Santos scored a takedown in round two where she got any position she wanted and during the process, landed some strikes. McCann did a good job of constantly scrambling and making it difficult for Santos. Moving along to round three, Santos continued her game plan and worked her over with a tactical approach. McCan was wasting energy by throwing strikes off her back. Santos got the decision win.
Abdul Razzak Alhassan vs. Mounir Lazzez
Both guys came out extremely aggressive and had no interest in feeling it out. Alhassan started to light up his opponent up against the fence. Lazzez recovered and scored a late round takedown. Lazzez came out in the second and just started throwing a will. They had an insane exchange over a minute into it. Lazzez scored a takedown in the middle of the round. The referee kept standing them up for no real reason, which went over great with fans online. Come round three, Alhassan tried for his own takedowns, but never could keep his opponent down. Lazzez later scored his own takedown. The judges gave the win to Lazzez.
Quick UFC On ESPN 13 Results
Main Card (10 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN+)
- Featherweight bout: Calvin Kattar def. Dan Ige by unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47)
- Flyweight bout: Tim Elliott def. Ryan Benoit by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight bout: Jimmie Rivera def. Cody Stamann by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Women’s featherweight bout: Taila Santos def. Molly McCann by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Welterweight bout: Mounir Lazzez def. Abdul Razak Alhassan by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
Preliminary Card (7 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN+)
- Middleweight bout: Khamzat Chimaev def. John Phillips by submission (D’arce choke) at 1:12 of Round 2
- Featherweight bout: Lerone Murphy def. Ricardo Ramos by TKO (punches) at 4:18 of Round 1
- Featherweight bout: Modestas Bukauskas def. Andreas Michalidis by TKO (elbows) at 5:00 of Round 1
- Light heavyweight bout: Jared Gordon def. Chris Fishgold by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Women’s flyweight bout: Liana Jojua def. Diana Belbita by submission (armbar) at 2:43 of Round 1
- Bantamweight bout: Jack Shore def. Aaron Phillips by submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:29 of Round 2