UFC Postpones Scheduled April Event In Montreal

The following is from the Canadian Press:

UFC calls off planned April card in Montreal, still hopes to come to Canada

Canadian Press: NEIL DAVIDSON

LAS VEGAS (CP) – A UFC card planned for April in Montreal has been called off, according to UFC president Dana White.

White had told reporters earlier this month in San Diego that the mixed martial arts circuit would make its Canadian debut at the Bell Center on April 7 with Montreal native and newly crowned welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre taking on former title-holder Matt Hughes in a 170-pound rubber match.

On Thursday, White said the Montreal card was off.

“Fell apart, unfortunately,” White said. “There were a lot of different things that made that fight fall apart.

“I'm trying to regroup right now and figure out when we go to Canada.”

He said the UFC still hopes to get to Canada in 2007. But it also has it eyes set on England and Mexico, in addition to a full U.S. schedule.

DISCUSS THIS NEWS IN THE MMANEWS.COM FORUMS >>