UFC Singapore went down today (Sat. October 26, 2019) from the Singapore Indoor Stadium in Kallang, Singapore. The world’s leading mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion compiled an excellent card for fight fans to enjoy.
It was headlined by a meeting between Demian Maia and Ben Askren in a welterweight showdown. The co-headliner saw Michael Johnson vs. Stevie Ray in a lightweight bout.
Frank Camacho vs. Beneil Dariush in a lightweight bout, Cyril Gane vs. Don’Tale Mayes in a heavyweight bout, and Muslim Salikhov vs. Laureano Staropoli in a welterweight bout rounded out the five bout main card.
Demian Maia vs. Ben Askren
After some striking and clinching, Askren managed to land a late-round takedown in the first outing. Things got exciting in the second round as Maia was bleeding from nose and they traded grappling positions. Starting in the third round, Askren started to get tired that eventually led to Maia getting his back and locked in the rear-naked choke where Askren tapped then passed out.
Michael Johnson vs. Stevie Ray
This was a close back and forth striking affair. Johnson took the first round as he was busting up Ray, but Ray started to come alive in the second round. Ray did a good job of landing leg kicks but Johnson started to blast him with combos. In the third round, Ray scored a takedown and rained down strikes. Johnson somehow survived and Ray got the majority decision win.
Frank Camacho vs. Beneil Dariush
Dariush didn’t waste any time in getting the finish as in the first-round, Dariush took him down and got his back where he locked in the rear-naked choke.
Cyril Gane vs. Don’Tale Mayes
Gane was lighting him up with kicks to the gut that got a crowd reaction every time. In round one, Gane blitzed him with strikes and knocked him down with a knee strike then swarmed him with strikes on the ground as the first round came to a close. Mayes started to let his hands go but was looking for an angle to get in and strike. In round three, Gane continued to pour it on and smashed him up against the fence with strikes and knees. Gane locked in an ankle lock with seconds left in the third round.
Muslim Salikhov vs. Laureano Staropoli
Both guys come out aggressive and were throwing a ton of spinning strikes and kicks as they were going for the early finish. Salikhov stuffed him by blocking a high kick and taking him down. Salikhov stunned him in the second round with an uppercut and blitzed him with a series of strikes up against the cage but somehow Staropoli was able to recover. Salikhov outstrikes him in the fight as he mixed up his strikes to the head and body well. It was an impressive performance by Salikhov, who won the fight by decision.
It was certain to have a great morning of fights. Check out MMA News’ UFC Singapore results below:
Quick UFC Singapore Results
Main Card (8 AM ET, ESPN+)
- Welterweight bout: Demian Maia def. Ben Askren by submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:54 of Round 3
- Lightweight bout: Stevie Ray def. Michael Johnson by majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)
- Lightweight bout: Beneil Dariush def. Frank Camacho by submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:02 of Round 1
- Heavyweight bout: Ciryl Gane def. Don’Tale Mayes by submission (heel hook) at 4:46 of Round 3
- Welterweight bout: Muslim Salikhov def. Laureano Staropoli by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-28)
Preliminary Card (5 AM ET, ESPN+)
- Women’s strawweight bout: Randa Markos def. Ashley Yoder by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Lightweight bout: Rafael Fiziev def. Alex White by unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Movsar Evloev def. Enrique Barzola by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Heavyweight bout: Sergei Pavlovich def. Maurice Greene by TKO (punches) at 2:11 of Round 1
- Women’s strawweight bout: Loma Lookboonmee def. Alexandra Albu by split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)
- Heavyweight bout: Raphael Pessoa def. Jeff Hughes by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)